Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Navigator timing cover must be used.
GT500 is for the GT500 motor only.

Last edited:

19blkcbra99

Established Member
yes thanks birdman for all your input.
who elese out there was brave enough for this endevour. pics and details!!!!!!

19blkcbra99

Established Member
GT500 is for the GT500 moptor only.[/QUOTE

if i where to use the navi short block my 99 cobra heads/intake w/adapter what aditional parts would be nessesary for this swap if i wanted to peice this together on the cheap. engine mount drops, headers, and so on...

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
GT500 is for the GT500 moptor only.[/QUOTE

if i where to use the navi short block my 99 cobra heads/intake w/adapter what aditional parts would be nessesary for this swap if i wanted to peice this together on the cheap. engine mount drops, headers, and so on...

The kit.
I did all the development already, so it saves you time and money,
especially money on Tylenol.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I assisted Al installing the motor about 2 years ago.
He took me for a ride in it when I picked up my motor.
No shortage or power there.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Pics of the end result are in this thread,
and links in a PM I sent to you.
If you want torque, it is the way to go.

96TT5.4

I know this is an old thread. I have done a few swaps in the short life of my car. Firstly, Just joined because of this thread and my past experience with swaps. Long story very short. I have a 1996 mustang gt with an automatic. Blew motor swapped in a 99 cobra motor and mounted to auto. blew tranny, beefed it up. blew rear end, beefed it up. blew motor (round 2 I know), SAVED MONEY. Bought a 2010 GT500 Block and mounted the 99 cobra heads and cams to it with only a few issues. 1. oil dipstick 2. timing chain guides 3. water pump was 3 bolt instead of 2 bolt 4. hood clearance. Ordered gt500 parts for the dipstick, chain guides and water pump. Intake worked fine. got new hood. Installed hellraiser kit with 62mm precision turbos. Got tune 11PSI 482 HP and 512 TQ on 93 octane pump gas with wheelspin at the top end, still alot of timing to add and still very much breaking it in. Then NAVY moved me to japan and now she sits waiting my arrival in 3 years.

Last edited:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I know this is an old thread. I have done a few swaps in the short life of my car. Firstly, Just joined because of this thread and my past experience with swaps. Long story very short. I have a 1996 mustang gt with an automatic. Blew motor swapped in a 99 cobra motor and mounted to auto. blew tranny, beefed it up. blew rear end, beefed it up. blew motor (round 2 I know), SAVED MONEY. Bought a 2010 GT500 Block and mounted the 99 cobra heads and cams to it with only a few issues. 1. oil dipstick 2. timing chain guides 3. water pump was 3 bolt instead of 2 bolt 4. hood clearance. Ordered gt500 parts for the dipstick, chain guides and water pump. Intake worked fine. got new hood. Installed hellraiser kit with 62mm precision turbos. Got tune 11PSI 482 HP and 512 TQ on 93 octane pump gas with wheelspin at the top end, still alot of timing to add and still very much breaking it in. Then NAVY moved me to japan and now she sits waiting my arrival in 3 years.

Great info! You said the intake worked fine. What intake did you use? Did you use the cobra intake with spacers? Or did you use the GT500 intake/intercooler and just put a lid on it where the blower usually mounts? Or something else entirely?

Also, since your car is a 96, it has the two coil packs and plug wires. Did you keep the plug wires, or did you change to a COP setup like on the 99+ cars? Just curious...

Homer

mossbergman

Established Member
I heard rumor that the boss 302 intake for the new 5.0s is a very close match for a navigation headed 5.4. There's a thread about it somewhere on corral. You might have to modify the heads a bit though, but its been a while since I've seen the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread