'99 Cobra "the Fix" and blow-by on 8cyl WoW

swt99svt

Established Member
So, in the process of rebuilding my car and thought it would be interesting to share this bit of information. I haven't seen anything of its type spoken about on the boards and thought maybe, just maybe, someone else had this with their car too...

So I'm rebuilding due to a HG leak we found after my Eaton swap. Come to find out, after pulling the heads, not only were the MLS gaskets delaminating on the outside edges but there was blow-by on all 8 cylinders. Because of this, we decked the block and it's not a big deal.

All in all, the rebuild is going great and I'm looking forward to the finished product. However, blow-by on all 8cyl... That's just CRAZY!!!!!!!!!1

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What do you mean the gaskets were delaminating? On my head gaskets the ends aren't glued or anything. So I was able to open them up. Don't forget to mill the heads as well.

swt99svt

Established Member
Splitting a part under the head.

Yup! Heads and block have been decked so we're good to go. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to pick up some parts for powdercoat so I'll be starting a build thread on it. I have quite a few from the tear down to add to it. Should be a good time!

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Still doesn't make sense. MLS is multi layer steel. They aren't glued all the way together. I have held brand new ones in my hand and you can pull them apart slightly. Could you pull an entire layer off completely?

swt99svt

Established Member
All I was told was that under the heads and between the block they were coming a part... Again, blow by on all 8 cylinders. I've never heard or seen it happen to all 8 on a modular or anywhere on the forums. My point was that the only time they've been off is when "the fix" was completed...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Blow by would be piston rings. Not the head gaskets.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
So did you have coolant in the oil? If you didn't, the head gaskets were fine. Also if you didn't, you might want to find a new shop. Sounds like this guy is feeding you BS.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Get pics of the old head gaskets. I was trying to remember how mine were set up. I'm pretty sure there were 4 rivets around the perimeter holding the layers together. The layers could still be pulled apart.

swt99svt

Established Member
The shop it's at for rebuild isn't the shop that identified the problem. The shop the car is at is because it's one of the best shops in Cincinnati. The association of the HG and "the fix" were from my misunderstanding of what the repair was. Not due to misinformation from the shop.

No, there was not any coolant in the oil. However, there were emission traces in the coolant and that was tested at the original shop in addition to a leakdown which the primary cylinder in question, if I recall correctly, was #7.

After the motor was torn down the builder found there was blow by on all 8 cylinders. I have a picture on my camera from a shop visit last weekend of the heads and you can clearly see the blow by on all 8.

I also have a video of the geyser (slight embellishment) coming from the overflow tank while the car was on the dyno. The overflow occurred when the car was under boost.

If it was the rings, great. No big deal. The block has been bored .020 over and I've opted to go with Manley 11cc pistons with their stainless steel total seal rings. The block has been decked and the heads will be milled as well.

I was merely passing along what I found to be interesting... That there was blow by on 8cyl. In addition, I was incorrect in associating "the fix" with the heads. As delivered above, the fix was the intake, exhaust, and ECU.

At the end of the day, any speculation or build requirements are moot. The entire car is being rebuilt sooooo that's the GOOD news.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread