99 Cobra Tail Lights

redzaku

Established Member
Why these Tail lights so expensive I actually like the red and clear better thinking about selling mine and just buying red and clear and using the extra money on other parts.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Why these Tail lights so expensive I actually like the red and clear better thinking about selling mine and just buying red and clear and using the extra money on other parts.

They only came on the cobras for 4 years with the numbers being limited so thats really the reason they sell for so much.

Last edited:

THark88

Established Member
i have the ambers on my 01, and i honestly don't like them.. i'm just not crazy enough to remove them because the next owner may want them as a make or break item on a sale.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
i have the ambers on my 01, and i honestly don't like them.. i'm just not crazy enough to remove them because the next owner may want them as a make or break item on a sale.

Just remove them and swap the lights/harness. You don't need to sell them.

shurur

Established Member
The separate cobra turn signals can be kept with the GT lights if you are ok with red turn signal lenses:

1. file down the plastic nipple where the corner lights go
2. drill a small pilot hole at that center point.
3. drill a 1" hole with a hole saw.
4. file and test fit notches for the turn signal connectors until they can be dropped in and turned into the new light hole.
You will need to build up the area with another seal ring or with silicone for a tight fit around the connector.

Aside: I suspect one could use bright yellow LEDs for the turn signal, and with a red lense the color would look amber....but I haven't tried it yet.

FIREBALL

Established Member
The separate cobra turn signals can be kept with the GT lights if you are ok with red turn signal lenses:

Aside: I suspect one could use bright yellow LEDs for the turn signal, and with a red lense the color would look amber....but I haven't tried it yet.

Sorry but as I have been thinking about changing also, Im getting a little confused by this thread. So the GTs are all red and the other non Cobras are red and clear? -----and some are two piece? My cobra appears to be one piece so I cant see how you would just use the seperate turn signal like is mentioned in above quote. what has to be done to the wiring if changing to the red and clear or the all red?

shurur

Established Member
Sorry but as I have been thinking about changing also, Im getting a little confused by this thread. So the GTs are all red and the other non Cobras are red and clear? -----and some are two piece? My cobra appears to be one piece so I cant see how you would just use the seperate turn signal like is mentioned in above quote. what has to be done to the wiring if changing to the red and clear or the all red?

The GT tail light has a blocked off space that is not used.
It actually says "do not use" on the plastic where the turn signal connector would go. It is in the corner where the amber cobra turn signal socket is.
The lense color where the amber turn signal is on the cobra lights is red on the GT lights; so when modded your turn signal would now be red.

The instructions above are to make a socket hole for the cobra turn signal socket on the GT light.

Both GT and cobras have clear lenses for the backup portion of the tail lights.

Last edited:

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
Yep. Owners choice but I hate when someone takes their 99/01 bumper off just to put the 03/04 on. 99/01 looks much meaner imo.
I back ended a pickup truck with a receiver hitch on it. I totally trashed my front bumper and ripped out the clips. The insurance company, body shop and I looked all over the USA for an 01 front bumper. None were available. I had to settle on an 03/04 bumper. Bummer. I have a bra that I used on long trips. It doesn't work well with the 03/04 bumper. Also, we had to modify the wiring for the 03/04 fog lamps.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Ive decided not to convert, hey those ambers are not so bad, I mean they dont really make or break the looks of the back end and actually they kind of give it a more modern look and I dont have to mess with the wiring. But after going back and forth I decided to go with the matched painted tail light trim from American Muscle----and yes I know some dont like the look but for me overall I think they give a more recessed look and kind of a retro but modern look, well Ill see if I still feel the same when installed. One thing, my car is Lazer Red so the red tail lights blend in with the car even with the small ambers.

Users who are viewing this thread