99 Cobra problems?

svtmesoon

Established Member
Hello all of you snake handlers. I just found this board, so I am new. I WILL be getting a 99-02 Cobra soon. I am sooooo sick of my gutless 96 GT (auto). I just can't wait to jump in a Cobra every day (or almost), and have it be mine. I have heard a little about some problems with the 99's. What are some of the common problems? Were they dealt with by recalls? Should I forget the 99, and look for a 00-02? An 03 is out of the question, (damn!) I want to buy my next stang the right way. I was so excited about getting a stang,(with my 96 GT) that I did no research, obviously, if I had, I would have never got a 96 GT!
Any guidance that any of you can offer me, will be taken very seriously, and I am greatful that there is such great people, like on these Mustang boards(not anything like the GM snobs) willing to help a fellow stanger out. Thanks to all, and I'm looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can.
svtmesoon,
Ric in Iowa

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Ric,

Sorry to hear about your disappointment in your GT...but glad you found this board! You won't be disappointed.

First there was no '02 Cobra, and there were only 300 produced in 2000 (the Cobra "R", a limited production race car that is street-legal).

That leaves us with the '96-'98s, the '99s and the '01s. What you need to ask yourself is whether you want a solid axle or an Independent Rear Suspension (IRS). The solid (stick) axle is generally accepted as a better straight-line performer where the IRS is better in the twisties. Before anyone chimes in to refute that statement, let me say that a properly set-up solid axle can be EXCELLENT in road racing (autoX or Open Track) and a properly set-up IRS can be a great drag strip suspension... Pre-99s are solid, '99s and up are IRS.

The '96-98s have a dual intake runner system to maximize low end torque and are rated at 305HP/300TQ, from the factory. Stock ones in good running condition will run high 13s at the drag strip.

In '99, Ford went to a "tumble port" intake design and did away with the dual runner system. Other than that, almost mechanically identical to the earlier 4.6 four cam, they were rated at 320HP/317TQ. After the press (and general public) discovered that the '99 Cobra was down on power, Ford issued a "fix" which consisted of an extrude honed intake, computer reprogram and free-flowing mufflers. Some of the "post fix" '99s are in the group of the fastest stock 4V Cobras (e.g. 13.3 @103.3 in the quarter). The '99s were also recalled for a rear steering knuckle (IRS) problem. Make darn sure both "fixes" have been done if you buy a '99.

The 2001 was in no way down on power (low-mid 13s, bone stock) but some exhibit detonation (pinging) in hot weather, under power. Rated at the same 320HP/317TQ, the '01 apparently has stretched the limit of the factory 4.6 4V (N/A at least, lmao thinking about the '03 :-D). Some never ping, some pingers have been fixed with an aftermarket chip (computer), some with aftermarket exhaust. Once fixed, these cars are blindingly fast...

Finally aesthetics may play a role in your decision. If you like the curvy body style of your '96, look at a '96-'98 Cobra (imagine your car with 100 extra horsepower, stock...). If you want a certain color, some were limited to certain years: Mystic (96), Pacific Green (97), Bright Atlantic Blue and Chrome Yellow (98), Electric Green (99) and the '01s came in eight colors...

It has been my experience (personally and otherwise) that the 1998 Cobra has proven to be the most reliable of the lineage since '96. Few problems/recalls and the best power (without problems) of the stock 4V snakes. Yes, I'm biased...:-D (but I have ordered a '03). The fixed '99s and '01s are a tad faster, however...

Finally, an automatic is NOT available on the Cobra, which is good news...:coolman:

svtmesoon

Established Member
Thanks, blue98, lots of good info in your post. First, I want a new, 99+ body style, 5spd, and 3 musts, performane red, coupe, either gray or black leather interior, no tan! This color combo seems to be hard to come by, at least in the Omaha Ne. area. The saddle int. seems to be in most of the perf. red cars. Is this true, does anyone know if a perf. red car w/blk or gray int. is somewhat a rarity? It's very good to know about the 2 main problems with the 99, thanks blue. Was this a recall? If it has not yet been taken care of, is it too late? I am going to ask all of you, what year Cobra would you buy, a 99, or 01?

Thanks again blue98'
svtmesoon

:idea:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
No Problem

That's what the internet is all about...:beer:

You are looking for a rare car...(one of 734). If you expanded to 'verts, you'd add another 598 cars :-D

Thanks to SCOA:
1999 Cobra Production

If you can afford the '01, I'd go that route. Your local dealer should be able to look up the VIN for "fixes" and "recalls", check that before you buy. Keep looking, don't settle. Normally I'd say buy before summer (when the prices for leisure cars go up), but with the introduction of the '03, there should be quite a few '01s available, before too long.

Good luck, and, "Tell us how you do..." -DLR

Later :coolman:

DLV

Established Member
Bright Atlantic Blue

You are keeping the '98, right Jimbo? :uh oh:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Re: Bright Atlantic Blue

Originally posted by DLV
You are keeping the '98, right Jimbo? :uh oh:
Just another one of the details that keeps this whole thing interesting :-D. Yup, it will mean losing the '98... I couldn't convince my wife to keep it as her daily driver (and get rid of the Infiniti 4-door) so it's gotta be sold/traded...:cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread