99 Cobra IRS and 10.5 Fr500 problem???

CobraKalas

Established Member
Just a quick question, looking to buy some replica FR500 wheels over the winter and wondering if the stock IRS will be a problem for 17x10.5 rear wheels as to fitment, I plan on getting a spacer (not sure what size, any info would be appreciated) to get the tires to be just about flush with the fender lip. and I would like everything to bolt on no problems...

untouchable_svt

Established Member
I didn't need a spacer for my 10.5 wheels. I would assume you'd be safe. The IRS bolt is only a factor when the suspension is completely maxed out. That should never happen unless you like to jump your cobra???

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
go ahead and get a lighting force performance spacer or h&R spacer about 3/8" and be happy! Also a button head bolt from maximum motorsports is nice too.

w/out the spacer the bolt will probably hit when you jack up the car and the suspension droops.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
i just got my 10.5" fr500 replicas and nitto 555r 315/35/17's mounted up to check for clearance and i cant even fit my finger between the IRS bolt and the tire, im about to put cut the stock springs too, so i think im gonna need a spacer, im broke though, where can i get one?

i was thinking and what if i just bought some nuts that are the same threads as my studs and put them on tightly, wouldnt that do the same thing as a spacer? im broke and i figure it would work if they were all the same width(like 3/8")

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
^I won't try that if I were you. Yea maybe it would work but could come loose running down the road. The best spacers are hubcentric.

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
My cobra is lowered 1.5". I required spacers when installing 10.5" on the rear. The IRS bolt would have been buried into the inside sidewall. I went with Eibach 1" spacer, and I think the look on the rear tires / fenders is great. I have had many compliments (around town, car shows, etc...) on how well the rear stance looks with the combo of 10.5" rim w/ 1" spacer and 315 tire.

A 1/2 spacer would have worked, but the Eibach 1" spacer comes with studs as part of the piece, so made for an easier install and provided plenty of clearance.

Good luck.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
dirty_canadian said:
i just got my 10.5" fr500 replicas and nitto 555r 315/35/17's mounted up to check for clearance and i cant even fit my finger between the IRS bolt and the tire, im about to put cut the stock springs too, so i think im gonna need a spacer, im broke though, where can i get one?
cutting your stock springs(or lowering springs) will help with the bolt in the irs bolt problem. also, when your car is on the ground, that bolt will not be in the same spot in reference to your tire. so if it's close when you've got the rear jacked up, it may clear just fine when actually back on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread