99-04 Mustang Vortech Build (Need Advice)

Capngizmo

Established Member
first off let me Just say Hello.

Now I'm Getting ready to install a Vortech V3 Si trim on my 02 Mustang Gt, Im gonna be looking for around 425 rwhp. Before I take it to the Tuner I need to get a pulley to get it to my Goal but dont know which one to get 3.33 3.25 3.12 3.0 anyone help out with this? also looking for some gauges (Boost, Wideband Air fuel, and Fuel Pressure,etc) don't wanna spend an arm and a leg for these just wondering what brand everyone is running and if they are worth the money?

Combo as of now 2002 Mustang 4.6 Gt 5speed
Vortech V3
Cx racing 3 core intercooler
power pipe
Accufab upper intake and throttle body
bassini off road xpipe
slp resonators exhaust comes out in front of rear tire
vmp blow through MAF
60# injectors

Thanks for your help...

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
From what I've read, and all the YouTube videos I've watched (and read the comments), 3.33 with an intercooled Vortech seems to net around 400rwhp. When I was shopping around for supercharger head units, if I got a Vortech, that's what I was going to run, or if I ended up with the Novi 2000 (which I did) I would run a 3.25.

General rule of thumb is AT THIS BOOST LEVEL, you'll probably lose ~2psi through through the intercooler piping and intercooler. I stress AT THIS BOOST LEVEL because if you run more boost with a fairly restrictive intercooler, you'll obviously lose more psi and have to pulley down again. With my particular intercooler, once you get past a certain boost level it becomes pretty restrictive, whereas if you run a Treadstone or Paxton intercooler, you'll probably only loose ~2psi regardless of how many psi you run. Since I see you'll be running the same CX I/C that I have, you'll probably loose 2 psi which is exactly what I lost.

Cliff notes: 3.33 should do the trick for around 400rwhp, but since you want 425, maybeeee go to a 3.25. Good luck, post results once you get it on the dyno!

Last edited:

Capngizmo

Established Member
From what I've read, and all the YouTube videos I've watched (and read the comments), 3.33 with an intercooled Vortech seems to net around 400rwhp. When I was shopping around for supercharger head units, if I got a Vortech, that's what I was going to run, or if I ended up with the Novi 2000 (which I did) I would run a 3.25.

General rule of thumb is AT THIS BOOST LEVEL, you'll probably lose ~2psi through through the intercooler piping and intercooler. I stress AT THIS BOOST LEVEL because if you run more boost with a fairly restrictive intercooler, you'll obviously lose more psi and have to pulley down again. With my particular intercooler, once you get past a certain boost level it becomes pretty restrictive, whereas if you run a Treadstone or Paxton intercooler, you'll probably only loose ~2psi regardless of how many psi you run. Since I see you'll be running the same CX I/C that I have, you'll probably loose 2 psi which is exactly what I lost.

Cliff notes: 3.33 should do the trick for around 400rwhp, but since you want 425, maybeeee go to a 3.25. Good luck, post results once you get it on the dyno!

Thanks again for your help. and I will post the results as soon as I get em, Cant wait gonna call the tuner this week to schedule the tune and order the Pulley and diy power pipe materials...

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Fwiw, mine is a DIY as well. I ordered everything from Siliconintakes.com for a little less than $100 if I remember correctly.

E0613249-FB9C-46E9-8137-C734D4977B74-765-000000E8E7DCCD06.jpg

Capngizmo

Established Member
Fwiw, mine is a DIY as well. I ordered everything from Siliconintakes.com for a little less than $100 if I remember correctly.

E0613249-FB9C-46E9-8137-C734D4977B74-765-000000E8E7DCCD06.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the Tip What size filter did you wind up using(Just wondering what size will fit in the inner fender on our cars. thanks

Capngizmo

Established Member
After a long talk with Vortech and an email from Bob I have decided on the 3.125 pulley. Thanks

Also ordered the Anderson 8" filter

Last edited:

dwtjr3

Established Member
I run a power pipe and. 3.33" pulley and I hit 11lbs on the dyno ane put down 400rwhp thru a auto trans

Stanger00

Established Member
Not sure about the V3 but when I was running a stock long block 2 valve with a V-2 and the same mods as you I turned 11-12 psi at 6k rpms. I was using a 3.1" pulley and Paxton intercooler with 4" power pipe.

My power with 12* of timing was right at 400hp and 395 torque through an automatic trans.

That is how much boost you will need to run to get your 425 wheel horsepower goal.

Capngizmo

Established Member
Not sure about the V3 but when I was running a stock long block 2 valve with a V-2 and the same mods as you I turned 11-12 psi at 6k rpms. I was using a 3.1" pulley and Paxton intercooler with 4" power pipe.

My power with 12* of timing was right at 400hp and 395 torque through an automatic trans.

That is how much boost you will need to run to get your 425 wheel horsepower goal.

Thanks, for the input...Guess we shall see soon...cant wait...

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Here's a 3.33 pulley V1-T Trim with a Treadstone FMIC and Powerpipe, saw about 11lbs. I think 3.1 is gonna blow that stock motor up. Instead of looking for a number you should be thinking about what it can realisitically handle boost wise and then dial it back a little so its safe.

Also make sure your tuner does not try and run a ton of timing because that will surely end bad.

johndyno.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread