99-04 Guages/HVAC LED Swap

ImRambo

Established Member
*All pictures at the bottom*

In order to install LEDs into your new edge you must first find out your film color. 99-00 should have a BLUE film. 01-04 should have a GREEN film. Stock bulbs are yellow thus all years display a greenish color. So lucky you if you own a 99-00 you can just throw some white leds in and youll get blue light. BUT if you have a 01-04 or if you want a color other than green/blue you must remove the films. This is how I went about it.

I ordered all my leds from superbrightleds.com in blue. 7 bulbs. Cost about $30.
Guage cluster - 5 bulbs (74 x HP3) https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...led-bulb-3-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/228/
HVAC controls - 2 bulbs (WLED - x5) https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wedge-bulbs/194-led-bulb-5-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/199/
(If you have aftermarket gauges like I have, research your guage bulbs. Mine was a WLED - x5 like the HVAC leds.)

Heres what you'll need
-T15 torx screwdriver
-7mm socket
-Small screwdriver
-Fork
-Super glue
-Box cutter
-Knife
-Tape

Guage Cluster

1) Warm up car for 10+ mins until it reaches proper temperature. Take a mental picture of your needles. Write down idle rpm (volts/oil pressure/water temp are usually right in the middle)

2) Remove headlight knob by pressing in tab and it'll release. If you have an aftermarket knob like me it takes an extremely small Alan wrench.

3) 2 Torx on the upper plastic surrounding cluster. Remove those as well and piece will pop out.

4) Remove the gold Torx screws holding the lens onto the cluster. Once they are out, it'll slip right off.

5) NOW, start the car up and use a small piece of tape to mark the gas tank needle position and/or any needles so you don't forget the positions. Try your best to be as accurate as possible. Then go ahead and shut off.

6) Disconnect the battery

7) Remove the 4 black torx holding the cluster in. Rotate the cluster up and there are 2 harnesses on the back. Press tabs in and they'll release.

HVAC Controls

1) Remove shift knob. Boot and plastic piece pop out. Use a small screw driver to press tab on cig lighter and release it.

2) There are 2 7mm bolts at bottom of center piece. Once these are off the piece will pop off with some force.

3) Remove 4 7mm bolts holding the control unit into place. On the backside remove the harness tabs with screwdriver. They take some force but will eventually all come off.

Removing the Film
Guage cluster - Start by removing the needles. I used a kitchen fork and pried on them gently. After those are off, the overlay must come off. There's small amounts of glue holding it on so be careful prying up on it. I long knife works well the cut through the glue. Once its off you'll notice all the film on the backside. The white film over it prevents light from passing. The film over the redline and colored areas are super thick to retain that color. You can wetsand any areas off. I personally kept the redline and E line red. I also kept the turn signals, CEL, trac control etc the stock colors. Once its sanded off how you wanted you can put small dabs on glue on it and press it back on. Make sure its as flat as possible the the needles wont stick when you get to 130. Once its dry you can move onto the hvac unit. The needles will have to go back on the cluster with the car running.

HVAC - The HVAC plate is held in with 10 or so tabs. Press them in with screwdriver. They take alot of force. Once its out you'll see the film hiding beneath the ufo looking lense. It must come off to get to the film. There are 3 melted posts holding it on. I used a knife and pried up on them inorder to get them to snap. Once the piece is off, use a knife/box cutter and cut the film off each side. The middle film stays in order to protect the red/blue temperature display. Once your happy glue the piece back into place and put it back together. Put LEDs into the old sockets and you can re install the HVAC and trim pieces.

Installing Needles
Leave the lens off the cluster when you put it back into the car. Plug in the back harnesses and reconnect the battery. Start up the car. Leave it on for 10 mins or so or until you think its reached its normal operating temp. Use your mental notes/tape lines and start placing needles. Be as accurate as possible. If your stupid like me and didn't do the above steps this is your route. Go to gas station and fill her up all the way. Look up pictures of stangs on full tank it'll be right over the full line. For speed, hit the freeway and use a GPS app on phone or friends car and match up speeds. Go 60 and place the needle with a very steady foot. For temp/volt/oil they are typically right in the middle. For rpms either use your speed and go online an fine your rpm match or know what your car idles at when its fully warm.

If any of my info is wrong, please let me know!

*Car is 2001 Cobra*

812 by performancered, on Flickr

195 by performancered, on Flickr

078 by performancered, on Flickr

083 by performancered, on Flickr

143 by performancered, on Flickr

144 by performancered, on Flickr

085 by performancered, on Flickr

091 by performancered, on Flickr

193 by performancered, on Flickr

047 by performancered, on Flickr

045 by performancered, on Flickr

048 by performancered, on Flickr

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
dumb question, but why do you have to install the needles when they're operating, couldnt you put them on in the 'resting/no power' position?

ImRambo

Established Member
dumb question, but why do you have to install the needles when they're operating, couldnt you put them on in the 'resting/no power' position?
I thought the same. Started it up and i was idling at 4k and doing 100 lol. Not sure why they cant be.

BlackHrtStang

METAL!
Established Member
I was looking onto doing this because I wanted my gauge lights to be brighter and easier to read. I ended up going with a upr color change white face overlay that I didn't have to remove the needles for and am glad I went that route. It was super easy and is bright as all hell. The price wasn't bad either at like 30ish if I remember correctly

Lycosa

Established Member
Do you know if I can get the radio controls the same color. I have the stock radio and think the green with blue would look weird.

Users who are viewing this thread