99-04 Amber Tails Wiring Help

moot09

Established Member
Hey guys, I purchased a set of amber tails off of a member here and they look great but I have ran into a slight problem with them. In pretty much all of the write ups I have seen, their harnesses have had an extra (usually green) wire that is used to splice into the third break light harness.

However, mine does not. I believe the previous owner of these had taken the wire that powers the amber turn signal and spliced it with the green/orange striped wire that sends power to the break lights themselves when the break pedal is pushed.

My question is, to fix this, could I just undo his splice work and just run the wire that goes to the amber light through the harness and use that to splice into the third break light harness? I am not sure if this is the correct wire but it is the only wire I can think of that would be extra in the harness compared to the 03/04's harness.

I hope this makes sense, I have been kicking myself trying to figure this out:bash: So any help or guidance would be appreciated!

shurur

Established Member
So essentially the owner just made the amber turn signal a turn/brake signal.

Use this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n9U6BZDJpzA

As I see it...
Cutting the green wire makes the brake/turn lights into turn only....(because there is no longer a brake input to the brake/turn relay of the multi purpose switch) and the (two each) wires going out/in to the new amber lights. (The green/whatever wires at each light).

Then the red brake line from the third brake light is used for to splice to the green/whatever brake light only wire sets at the lights..(formerly brake/signal lights).

Get a Haynes manual for the diagrams...

About the flasher:
You will need to change the flasher unit as well. I think this is because the load (number of lights used for turn(s) and brakes) has changed and a new flasher delay is needed...otherwise the flash will alert as bulb out.

All for now..

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Don't waste your money on a new connector..just use a single pin connector for the new turn signal wire.

Other terminator folks who have done this mod will post up I'm sure.

Last edited:

moot09

Established Member
Thanks for help man! You are correct. The brake light comes on when the brake is depressed as well as the amber bulb. I just really need to know what the wiring looked like before the previous owner of them spliced into it.

Ah yes, I already have the long section of wire that is supposed to be spliced into the third brake light as well as the flasher.

As far as the pin goes, I should just undo the previous splicing and repin a new wire in connector of the amber bulb to run as the "extra wire"? Apologies if I sound lost haha.

Thanks again for the guidance!

Users who are viewing this thread