'99/'01 Cobra Tail Lights installed

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Curious as to why you are cutting the green wire....can it not be unpinned from the connector and save a bunch of hassle in the future?? I'm thinking doing this but like the sequential look and see they can't be used with these lights.

Guess i'll do some looking but what exactly is the turn signal on these, the amber only? No red? Is that the reason sequential can't be used?

Someone posted about finding it in the lower kick panel. Should be able to unpin it there. Doing the connector up under the dash is a nightmare. I couldn't do it. Got pissed and just cut the damn thing.

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
Curious as to why you are cutting the green wire....can it not be unpinned from the connector and save a bunch of hassle in the future?? I'm thinking doing this but like the sequential look and see they can't be used with these lights.

Guess i'll do some looking but what exactly is the turn signal on these, the amber only? No red? Is that the reason sequential can't be used?
Only the amber is used on these for turn signals. I emailed a few of the sequential light kit companies and asked them if there was a way to modify one of their harnesses to make just the brake lights sequential and they didnt want to touch it. It doesnt really matter to me I love the way the lights look regardless.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
IMO.......the amber tails should have come factory on the 03-04's and not just the 99-01's
these lights just look so much better on any color!

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
Love these lights have a set on my Torch Red Coupe & a set on my DSG convertible

IMG_0022_zps0b20a81d.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

black 10th vert

Established Member
Those look pretty amazing on that DSG, I wouldn't have thought they would have looked good just by trying to visualize the combo, though. I have contemplated doing this numerous times, but I have a hangup when detailing of not wanting too many colors, and since my car is black with all details that aren't chrome/polished being red, I just felt that the yellow would take away from it, more than add. I also have and love my Webelectric sequential harnesses, and would hate loosing them.

MTBSully

Established Member
Just installed these on my TR 04. They look great! Only issue is it would appear that when I apply the brakes the bulb closest to the license plate on each side doesnt light up. It comes on when the lights are on but not when the brakes are applied. Any ideas?

va boy

Established Member
Just installed these on my TR 04. They look great! Only issue is it would appear that when I apply the brakes the bulb closest to the license plate on each side doesnt light up. It comes on when the lights are on but not when the brakes are applied. Any ideas?

You're good man, that's how it's supposed to be.

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
Post #74 was very useful although I opted to unpin the wire from the harness itself. Just use a pliers to remove the red tab holding the pins in and push it out and reinstall the red tab. I used shrink tube over the green wire connector and taped it off to the side. Works great and no need to re-splice if reverting in the future.

Now to address the issue on post #52. What can be done to avoid overloading the jumped wire and causing issues?

Last edited:

MTBSully

Established Member
Seen these and passed cause they were smoked. In for pics on car (lit up).

No i bought them and sanded the paint off. They look like brand new now, and i ended up getting them with the harness for $120:beer:

I'll post pics once im done with my turbo build and the car is out of the garage

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
No i bought them and sanded the paint off. They look like brand new now, and i ended up getting them with the harness for $120:beer:

I'll post pics once im done with my turbo build and the car is out of the garage

Buck twenty is a steel....:beer:

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
ended up just pulling the pin, and making a removable section at the harness connection if i ever have to remove them, everything else was soldered

CIMG2625_zps358ffc52.jpg

CIMG2633_zps99f48073.jpg

redrocket16

Established Member
Bumping this thread. I have a slightly different setup albiet same thing. I have a set of export taillights for my '96 Cobra which normally would need different wiring to get it to work with my 96, but with my car having a full terminator swap (wiring as well) my car is now essentially a 03-04 and I would like to get the exports hooked up now.

Back to the topic of 99-01 wiring, I do have a set of the 01 taillight wiring however it seems like it may not be needed after reading this? The export taillight set came with 1 extra bulb per taillight so is it possible to use the stock wiring and add these to it without cutting the 99-01 taillight wiring? If so I would love to sell em and recoup some funds.

Thanks fellas :beer:

Woody6799

Established Member
sub'n for this quote and my install next week.

"The brake interrupt wire that needs to be cut is a lot easier to find if you remove the drivers kick panel... there are three harness plugs behind it... The center one with a black male and grey female end is the one you want.. The other two are all black. Disconnect the plug and find pin 12... It's labeled on the back of the plug. Solid green wire. cut and tape out of the way..."

Users who are viewing this thread