'99/'01 Cobra Tail Lights installed

DOHC Holliday

robot clean
Established Member
Installed some '99/'01 Cobra lamps and they look sharp. :rockon:

I'll try and do a short write up since most of the info I came across while SEARCHING wasn't all that great. It is pretty simple and definitely a fun and worthwhile project.

Heres what you'll need:

- '99/'01 Lamps

- New flasher: The updated Ford # is 5L5Z-13350-AA

Or you can use an EP-27 from Napa and save a couple bucks.

- 16 gauge wire

- Quick connects

- Butt connectors

- 11MM 1/4" ratchet and deep socket, strippers, crimpers, dykes.

1. Start by removing the factory lamps. Cut the connector off the harness and leave yourself enough wire to work with. Cut the connector off the new harness and splice/connect the old connector with the new harness. I chose to solder and heat shrink my connections, but you can do as you like.

Lamps001.jpg

You will have one green wire left over on the new harness. Attach a few feet of 16 gauge wire to it.

Lamps002.jpg

2. After performing step one on both lamps and harnesses, make a jumper wire to connect your lamps to the third brake lamp. You could go right to the wire, but I chose this route because I did not want the wires to keep me from removing the lamps.

Lamps003.jpg

3. Run the jumper from a green wire in the trunk. It is located near the FPDM. Inside the RR panel.

Lamps005.jpg

4. Install the lamps and run your lengths of wire accordingly. Make the connection and secure all new wiring.

5. This step is done under the driver's side dash.

First, remove your original flasher. It is located above the OBDII connector and should be yellow. The updated one is blue and will replace yours. Just plug it in and secure it as it was.

Second, find the gray connector up by the steering column at cut the solid green wire for the brake interrupt. I chose to disconnect the harness, remove the wire from it's terminal, insulate it and tape it up and out of the way.

I used this picture taken from MustangWorld as a reference:

Pic14_cut_green_wire.jpg

And that's it! OE with a touch of class!

Lamps004.jpg

Lamps006.jpg

Lamps007.jpg

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Great write up, should definitely go in the how-to section!!! I was going to attempt it but didn't know it was that easy. Like you said everything to this point has been bits and pieces. The co. that made the plug and play harness hasn't made it for over 2 yrs.

I went with sequentials as an alternate but the amber does look sick!!!

REDFIREKNIGHT

SVT XENON GURU
Established Member
Call me stupid or a moron for this noob question but the 00-01 cobras have that amber markers on their brake lights? If they do, ive been looking for that. In my opinion it makes driving a little safer because the morons behind you know when your turning so they can slow down and not get on your tail.

DOHC Holliday

robot clean
Established Member
Yes. '99 and '01 Cobras, along with the '00 R model came with these from the factory.

Last edited:

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
That's exactly like I did it, nice write up. If I wasn't so lazy, I would have done it, that and if I had a nice digital camera.

DOHC Holliday

robot clean
Established Member
Sweet, this is definitely in m list of things to do. One of the things I efinitely miss about my '99. Ballpark what do you have in it, $300?

Ack

These were purchased new through Ford, so a bit more than that. I think used ones do go in that ballpark though.

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
99-01 lights will make your car faster...

LMAO!! No just distinctive. I always liked the 99-01 euro tails, then when the 03's came out, Ford did away with them. Damn bean counters. So I put them on myself, with a little help from 04sleeper to figure out where I had the wires wrong.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
LMAO!! No just distinctive. I always liked the 99-01 euro tails, then when the 03's came out, Ford did away with them. Damn bean counters. So I put them on myself, with a little help from 04sleeper to figure out where I had the wires wrong.
:smmon: :-D

ib_604

Established Member
i wonder what these look like with a slight tint to them...

great write-up btw.

one question, are there 2 extra blubs in that housing for the turn signals? if so, how do you hook those up?

DOHC Holliday

robot clean
Established Member
That extra bulb is now quick connected to the 3rd lamp with the green wire I ran IIRRC. And the updated flasher takes care of the other issue that could come up, which would be an excessively fast blinker speed.

Users who are viewing this thread