98 Cobra with out of box Vortech, can I pulley without retune?

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
I just bought a 98 with V1 S-trim non-intercooled. It's only making 5psi. Can I pulley it to 8psi with the tune that came from Vortech? What if I also swap to a power pipe? Retune required?

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
If you're changing from what they originally sent you, you're going to need a retune

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
I was under the impression that if it's tuned and MAF transfer function is dialed in that you can adjust boost levels up or down as long as you have adequate fuel?

mustanginky

Established Member
Ive often wondered this myself. Ive always been told no you need a retune for more boost. Of course cracking down on a 50 degree night vs 95 degree day should result in more boost.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
the cars going to build boost completely different with two pullies, cause a smaller pulley spins the blower faster, so the blower rpms are completely different thus more air is going into the motor thus the fuel tables are different. when in different weather the blower still spins the same rpms and the computer makes the timing changes for the ait's change.

if you're tuned for the 5lb pulley and swap to the 8lb your going to run lean cause of more air

Last edited:

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
..... when in different weather the blower still spins the same rpms and the computer makes the timing changes for the ait's change.

Yet colder weather or lower altitudes INCREASES boost levels too, right?

if I moved form California to Colorado I would retune the car cause its going to be different

Last edited:

green99_svt

Established Member
Im not sure I would risk it. That extra boost could be the point where the maf pegs or the fuel pump maxes.

Users who are viewing this thread