'98 Cobra wiring diagram for speakers...

blck04gt

Just a stupid GT....
Established Member
I'm going to directly wire up an aftermarket head unit harness to the Cobra's existing wire harness for all speakers (front, rear, and tweeters), do the sh*tty design of the female end of the factory pin harness.

Does anyone have a link or a wiring diagram so I know which color wires properly correspond to each speaker?

Thanks!

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
The Mach 490 uses distributed amplifiers, so it is not as simple as you think. Intermediate level signals go to amplifiers which then have wires that go to the speakers.

If you want to put in an aftermarket head unit, you are much better off buying the appropriate adapter which makes it a plug and play affair. I have seen a bunch of posts about the adapter here in SVTP.

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
The harness that that came in the Metra 70-5511 kit for the speakers was impossible to connect to the factory speaker connector. Is there some other adaptor that is needed or did I not just wiggle the two harnesses enough to get the the pins to line up correctly?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Sorry, I am running the stock head unit. We'll have to get someone who has used the aftermarket stuff to answer.

blck04gt

Just a stupid GT....
Established Member
The harness that that came in the Metra 70-5511 kit for the speakers was impossible to connect to the factory speaker connector. Is there some other adaptor that is needed or did I not just wiggle the two harnesses enough to get the the pins to line up correctly?

Yup. The Metra 70-5511 kit is fine. All the male pin connectors are nice and strait. However on the Ford end, all the female connectors are not strait at all. For example, if lined up, pin #1 would go in, but #6 would be physically impossible to insert.

Users who are viewing this thread