98 cobra turbo or super

skeeweezer

Established Member
:shrug: I am just wondering which is better or what the pros and cons are of each. Thanks for any help. Specific examples of brands would be great.

ZeroSpinn

Car Mod Addict
Established Member
I'm still a newbie here, but here is some info that I think I understand about the two options:

- turbo is run off exhaust energy, where as s/c is run off crank pulley which takes power, so turbo usually makes a lot more power even w/ same boost

- centrifugal s/c (ex.vortech, ati) only makes full boost at max rpm, where turbo has full boost all at once, say 4000rpm and on

- basically i think others would agree that turbos are better, they're just more complicated kits and a lot more expensive than s/c's

- if you want to go w/ turbo, i hear Pro Turbo kits is a good company, can't think of their site off hand (proturbokits.com?)

- s/c like vortech and procharger are all pretty good, some people say one is better and vice versa

I'm sure much more knowledgeable people will chime in, but thought I'd take a stab ;-)

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
Well also remember if you go turbo your gonna have some lag meaning that if you stomp on the loud pedal itll be flat till boost comes on. W/ a supercharger its instant all the time no lag just go.

Also w/ turbos theirs alot heat of generated so depending on where you live you may have some overheating issues. Also turbos need lots of tuning also so be patient if you go w/ a turbo setup.

Im actually thinking about going turbo, But not for awhile
I love my procharger to much!

chknhwk

Both superchargers (centrifugal) and turbochargers have 'boost lag'. Some centrifugal superchargers don't build full boost until a certain impeller speed which is directly related to engine rpm - hence lag.
Turbochargers don't reach full boost until enough load is placed on the turbo which is dependent on rpm and throttle position - hence lag.
Positive displacement (twin screw, single screw, etc) are almost instantaneous - hence little or no lag.
Turbo's generate more torque (tons, actually) than centrifugal b/c it basically creates more drivetrain loss to spin the supercharger.
Example: vortech vs. streetflight turbo on SVT Contour (2.5L engine). SF Turbo generates 50 more ft/lbs at the wheels with the stock tune vs. stock out of the box tune for Vortech on mostly stock engines.
Imagine what it can do for a V8.
Cons: heat and lack of good, reliable companies for turbos.
I don't believe cost is an issue because realistically you'd need all of the same components (read: aftercooler, ignition, tune, injectors, etc) as a turbo to be just as reliable!

HTH I'm going turbo, baby. :coolman:

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
wrong!

With the whats out there today for turbos, turbo lag is a thing of the past. Im running a T-88 on my Saleen with 4V heads and took it to a local dyno and on the 10th pull I broke the dyno :thumbsup:

chknhwk

Re: wrong!

Originally posted by SALEEN S-351
With the whats out there today for turbos, turbo lag is a thing of the past. Im running a T-88 on my Saleen with 4V heads and took it to a local dyno and on the 10th pull I broke the dyno :thumbsup:

SWEET!

hj16

Established Member
Re: wrong!

Got pics? I'd love to see that beast in action!

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Let's not forget supercharging is going to be cheaper than turbocharging perse. If you bought the turbo stuff separately it might be cheaper, but you will need all the plumbing that will be a bit pricey and a headache to get, unless you got hookups.

I looked into this very well and that was my conclusion. I'm just gonna save up for a supercharger and use my nitrous system as backup.

Good Luck

chknhwk

Originally posted by raven69david
Let's not forget supercharging is going to be cheaper than turbocharging perse. If you bought the turbo stuff separately it might be cheaper, but you will need all the plumbing that will be a bit pricey and a headache to get, unless you got hookups.

I looked into this very well and that was my conclusion. I'm just gonna save up for a supercharger and use my nitrous system as backup.

Good Luck

And did you factor in the price of all the addons that are generally included in the turbo kits? FMIC? Standalone engine management? The fact that a turbo at the same psi will yield more power due to less losses and more efficient operation? How much will it cost you to get to the same power levels as the turbo kit and how much more stresses this would place on the block and crank?
I think the $$$ issue is a moot point if you compare performance.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Originally posted by hwkrcng
I think the $$$ issue is a moot point if you compare performance.

I could not disagree with you more. The $ is the bottom line when choosing either of these products. I'd rather buy a $3200 supercharger than a $4500+ turbo kit....just my opinion, but i'm confident most people would want to spend less $ to get Equal or MORE performance by doing a few cheap mods like changing pulleys.

Sure the turbo is more efficient and produces less parasitic loss due to the turbine being powered by the motors exhaust vs the superchargers crank pulley, but efficiency doesn't make power, $ does. I just don't have enough $ to make that much power.:-D

To quote Dennis Miller: "...of course that's just my opinion, i could be wrong." :thumbsup:

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
I could not disagree with you more. The $ is the bottom line when choosing either of these products. I'd rather buy a $3200 supercharger than a $4500+ turbo kit....just my opinion, but i'm confident most people would want to spend less $ to get Equal or MORE performance by doing a few cheap mods like changing pulleys.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight a supercharger will make the same or more power :rolleyes: im sorry but your reply doesnt hold water with me. ya know its funny I've seen almost bone stock 50hs make well over 450-500 rwhp with little to almost no major mods with a turbo.....stock cam, stock heads, hell even stock intake. you find me a 50h with a s/c stock that makes that kind of power with less then 10# of boost! I will get some you some #s from some friends turbo 4.6GTs that are pushing the limits with less then 10# boost. ;-)

Sure the turbo is more efficient and produces less parasitic loss due to the turbine being powered by the motors exhaust vs the superchargers crank pulley, but efficiency doesn't make power, $ does.

WRONG again, efficiency makes power and keeps your power alive. yes money makes power but its all in how you spend it in your Combo.....combo being the "key" word here. You can spend 10,000 bucks on a engine and have it run like shit. Just because you spend 2000 or 8000 on a engine or its power adder doesnt mean it going to make power.

Just like people who laugh at guys that make home made turbo kits,,,,,most of these guys that do them either dont want to spend the "$" on a good kit for one or they cant spend the money... so they have a turbo kit that looks like junk yard trash but I bet when you see their car run some #s it will make you drop your jaw. ;-) and most of them have less then 1200 (1500 being high) or less then a 1000. again its all in what and how you spend your money. But hey this is just my Opinion ;-)

Last edited:

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
But hey this is just my Opinion ;-)

:beer:
werd.gif

chknhwk

Sure the turbo is more efficient and produces less parasitic loss due to the turbine being powered by the motors exhaust vs the superchargers crank pulley, but efficiency doesn't make power, $ does. I just don't have enough $ to make that much power.:-D

To quote Dennis Miller: "...of course that's just my opinion, i could be wrong." :thumbsup:

I said to get the SAME performance as a turbo kit you'd end up spending the same amount of money ANYWAY. I think you misunderstood me. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread