98 cobra sub frame install?

mustangsvtblack

Established Member
i have a friend with a 98 cobra he just bought mm subframe connectors and he was wondering what all it takes to install them. anyone do these before?

crazycarlo

Established Member
depending on which ones he bough it might take a lil welding. Or Im not sure if they hve them but some are bolt on design.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Take them to a professional to get them put on. It will probably cost $100-$150 and is well worth having it done correctly. Most places that do custom exhaust work can do this for you.

blackfang

Established Member
Make sure he preps the car i.e a die grinder sanding the welding areas and save the shop time and you $$ This makes for a cleaner weld.

Stay away from bolt on SFC's as they are pure junk.

shaolinmonk777

Established Member
blackfang said:
Make sure he preps the car i.e a die grinder sanding the welding areas and save the shop time and you $$ This makes for a cleaner weld.

Stay away from bolt on SFC's as they are pure junk.
Just the welds on the SFC's right, you dont have to sand the the parts that you weld to?

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
shaolinmonk777 said:
Just the welds on the SFC's right, you dont have to sand the the parts that you weld to?
if the sub frames are just metal you need to sand down places on your car to make sure there is good penetration. you dont want those welds cracking, if its powdercoated i believe you need to use a grinder and clean up the spots that you will be welding, again penetration is the key.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
they are ebay specials. $530 bucks shipped to my door, with center caps of my choice, 4 valve stems, a set of lugs and locks.

with the BFG DR's on the rear mounting and balance i paid a lil under $900

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
wheelhopper said:
Take them to a professional to get them put on. It will probably cost $100-$150 and is well worth having it done correctly. Most places that do custom exhaust work can do this for you.
I had my 38" Steeda subframes done at a performance shop and I think they only charged me one hour's labor ($60). Welding is the only way to go. Oh and they did do a great job. They cleaned up the contact spots and then sprayed them with the black undercoating afterwards to prevent rust.

jzepp

Established Member
Would it be a good idea to put subframe connectors on a convertible and does it make the ride quality any harsher? I put subframes on my old IROC-Z convertible with Eibach pro-kit springs and KYB shocks/struts and that thing was so damn harsh i hated driving it.

zx3focus

Established Member
jzepp said:
Would it be a good idea to put subframe connectors on a convertible and does it make the ride quality any harsher? I put subframes on my old IROC-Z convertible with Eibach pro-kit springs and KYB shocks/struts and that thing was so damn harsh i hated driving it.

The vert mustangs have SFC's. They arent full length but they are there.

I am getting my SFC's in the next day or so.WOOT.

Make sure you get goood solid welds and make sure to have the car sitting on its wheels. Dont put the car on jackstands to do the install becuase then the chassis isnt aligned correctly. Make sure all of the paint is off of where you will be welding, as it will make for a better weld.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
jzepp, the subframes aren't going to make the ride any harsher, if anything they'll make it better as they'll let the suspension do it's job a bit better since the frame won't be twisting all over the dam place any more.

What makes your ride harsh are stiff springs and shocks or saggy springs that are banging on the bump stops.

jzepp

Established Member
ok........i just know my old IROC rode like i had very high rate springs and i had soft Eibach springs with subframe connectors. I couldnt figure it out. So the verts already have SFC on them? If i get full length subframe connectors do the stock ones have to be removed?

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Ciotti said:
jzepp, the subframes aren't going to make the ride any harsher, if anything they'll make it better as they'll let the suspension do it's job a bit better since the frame won't be twisting all over the dam place any more.

What makes your ride harsh are stiff springs and shocks or saggy springs that are banging on the bump stops.
Well said Ciotti. :thumbsup:

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Our verts have "subframe connectors" that don't do shit, having full length subframes welded in will make a HUGE difference and it may be the mod that I am looking most forward to right now.

I'm pretty sure our worthless little "sfc's" will be removed when the full lengths are welded in.

SKM, I'm gettin there :)

Users who are viewing this thread