98 cobra cranks but doesn't start

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
We'll I put new seats in the car and got a bunch of stuff done to the car ( caster cambers plates, clutch cable and quadrant, new tires). I finished the install of the interior on Tuesday and pulled it out of the garage for pics. I shut it down to snap some pics and she wouldn't start, just crank. I got some starter fluid and screwed around with it and got it to start. It didn't miss a beat when I revved the engine. Figured ok let's see if I could get it started again... Nope. I ended up pushing it into the garage. Walked away for a bit and came back and cycled the key and heard the fuel pump prime so I started it and walked out of the garage. By the time I got to the door it sounded like it was idling at around 3-400 rpms. I tried to get it to idle up but got nothing and it stalled. Haven't got it to start since, even tried having someone else crank it while I sprayed some starter fluid in the throttle body. I'm stumped and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice...

cbrown9064

Established Member
Yep, but I would've thought that starting fluid would've at least got the car to run when I was spraying it into the throttle body...

Well that is strange, but if you have no fuel pressure you need to correct that (as you know) and then see what is next, if anything.

Good luck! I am sure you will have the old girl running in no time.
Chris

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
Loaded it up with the winch, going to take it down to my dad's and hook it up to the scanner and see if something is wrong and put it up on the lift..
1395499960035_zps7oehnflg.jpg

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
After checking her out some more I decided to order the fuel pump. Got it in today and she fired right up.

dlbest59

I have a 98 Cobra that will crank but won't start. But i was told there is no power going to the computer.I told them to check the fuel pump.Can a bad fuel pump cause this?

Users who are viewing this thread