98 Cobra build....8 years in the making

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok guys, here is a quick rundown. I've been a member of SVTP since 04, when I bought my 98 Cobra. I've owned several other Mustangs in the past.
Bought the car bonestock and almost immediately started modding it. Mostly bolt-ons (Pro 5.0 shifter, SFCs, springs, suspension, wheels etc)
I drove the piss out of it for 6 years before I spun a bearing.
Put the car in a local shop, and purchased an Aluminator 10:1 shortblock through Tousley for a steal. The shop doing the work took months and months to do the engine swap. I got the car back with a lower end noise and was told it was "piston slap". 500 miles later, I lost oil pressure again. After arguing with the shop and Ford, no one would cover it. What a shame.
I was depressed and really upset (I love my Cobra) and the car just sat from 2010-2017 with a cover on it.

The car is now in a shop (has been for a long while now in queue)
Well progress has begun on the new build, and I am getting excited.

Here's a pic of the car from 2004. My old 97 GT is next to it. At this point I had already swapped my Saleen wheels on to the Cobra.
cobra_gt1.jpg

Here is a couple pics before the spun bearing in 2010, some of you probably remember the car.

Harpoon78.jpg

DSCN9007.jpg

DSCN5808HDR_zpsfzm9luhb.jpg

Pics of the carnage...
Attach12978_20180117_123937_zpsffoiasxj.jpg

Attach12972_20180117_123809_zps6jasr6oq.jpg

Attach12976_20180117_123937_zpsjppozfu7.jpg

Fast forward to 2017. I pulled the car cover off and had it put on a flatbed and sent to the shop of my choice.

The car sat in queue for quite a while, but they are tearing into it now.
"Old" 500 mile Aluminator coming out in this pic.

IMG_20180516_201100_01_zpsv83c0ncl.jpg

Progress is being made. The powder coating has just returned and we are underway!

A few pics of some of the powder coat.

IMG_04821_zpsetgjtyod.jpg

IMG_04831_zpsfam8nmil.jpg

IMG_04811_zpsekh6kinb.jpg

Pretty much all parts are ordered and ready to go.

A quick teaser for those whom are inpatient (like me!)

IMG_2503%201_zpsggla9rxy.jpg

I will be updating this as we progress with the build.
I am getting giddy now!
Also among the goodies are MM Panhard bar, MM steering shaft, MM LCAs, AJE K, and some TF wheels.

Last edited:

triple-s

Established Member
Also don't forget you're probably going have to modify your catback to fit the mm panhard bar. I've had to do it to 3 different vehicle's already.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Sweet. Did you say what you are doing for an engine this time around?

Going 4.6 DOHC again, using the same Aluminator block, they had to bore it .020 over. Freshly built B heads, stock cams. Should be somewhere in the 9.5 CR range. Stock crank, MMR and APR for most of the rest.
67mm Precision Turbo in a custom low mount kit.
Hoping for a reliable 550rwhp when it's all said and done. I'm still on a stock (rebuilt) t45, don't want to push my luck. I can always turnt it up down the road, after a T56/auto install(?)

Also don't forget you're probably going have to modify your catback to fit the mm panhard bar. I've had to do it to 3 different vehicle's already.

I picked up some Dynomax turbo mufflers (they came highly recommended by the turbo crowd) and LMR tailpipes. According to MMs site, the LMR tailpipes should clear the PHB.

It's listed under "features"
Panhard Bar, 1979-98 Mustang

Tillerman77

Established Member
Going 4.6 DOHC again, using the same Aluminator block, they had to bore it .020 over. Freshly built B heads, stock cams. Should be somewhere in the 9.5 CR range. Stock crank, MMR and APR for most of the rest.
67mm Precision Turbo in a custom low mount kit.
Hoping for a reliable 550rwhp when it's all said and done. I'm still on a stock (rebuilt) t45, don't want to push my luck. I can always turnt it up down the road, after a T56/auto install(?)

Best of luck this time around. You deserve some prolonged, trouble free driving after that long wait!

Semi related question - what are the causes of spun bearings in these motors?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well this time around.
I'm heading down Tuesday to drop off some parts, I'll try and get some pics.
Carlo, Tunedprt..I remember you guys. Stampede and Tabres are still around too. I've seen Ciotti on YouTube, but he seems to be into flying drones now.

Users who are viewing this thread