97 Tbird SCT Tuner

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
I'd go dig through the market area more, but these don't seem to be near as common as say, resale SCT tuners for my truck :D

Long story short though, a friend of a friend of a friend has a 97 Tbird with the 4.6 in it, and he's been modding the piss out of it but hasn't invested in a tuner and actual dyno tune yet.

I didn't pay much attention to things until yesterday when I was linked a video of the car running a quarter mile, slower than stock. :D

So needless to say, I've thrown a few ideas his way, and one of them was investing in an Xcal2 or 3 and getting a proper tune, and because he'll probably want it for tuning for future mods.

Is there an aftermarket for that stuff used (SCT or DSP devices?), or are you guys just plopping down 500$ for new units?

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
check on the classifieds of any major ford web site, I've seen several "unlocked" xcal2's or 3's for sale on a few sites. Corral, Modfords, and here. I might be out of the loop there could be a few more new sites that also have good traffic. You can also check Tccoa classifieds.

If its unlocked, you just have to call SCT to register it to you, and purchase a database file for your Tbird. (try to get all of the software, etc, fom the current owner), its going ot be difficult to find someone with the same catch-code and a tuner for sale, so you'll likely have to pay estimated 100 for the files specific to his ECU catch code;

Doesn't hurt to take it to a dyno tuner to get it setup right from the get-go, might even get a discount on the files needed. Then he can tweek from there.

Users who are viewing this thread