'97 Convertible- subframe connectors?

Dhughes12

Established Member
Was just getting ready to place an order for a set of weld on subframe connectors when i happened to read an article on americanmuscle stating that most convertibles have bolt ons installed from the factory. Anyone have any ideas? or if they DO have them; would i be well served by upgrading them? Mine only has 38K miles and is a weekend driver, but it pops and squeeks like nobodys business. I know being an older vert; some of that is just the way it is but i'd like to do anything i can to minimize it

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Was just getting ready to place an order for a set of weld on subframe connectors when i happened to read an article on americanmuscle stating that most convertibles have bolt ons installed from the factory. Anyone have any ideas? or if they DO have them; would i be well served by upgrading them? Mine only has 38K miles and is a weekend driver, but it pops and squeeks like nobodys business. I know being an older vert; some of that is just the way it is but i'd like to do anything i can to minimize it

Replace your factory bolt-ins with weld-ins...you'll be happy you did. I have Maximum Motorsports in my '04.

Definitely...I have a set, still new, not even opened yet if anyone is interested, just PM me.

Martin6107

Established Member
Stock Cobra Vert has a front cross brace bolted in place. My 96 suffered from the same suspension noise until I replaced the front bushings with Moog parts and the rear control arm with a NOS factory replacements. There is no suspension noise now. Since this car is a weekend cruiser that sees no track time, subframe connectors just weren't in my sights.

Dhughes12

Established Member
Stock Cobra Vert has a front cross brace bolted in place. My 96 suffered from the same suspension noise until I replaced the front bushings with Moog parts and the rear control arm with a NOS factory replacements. There is no suspension noise now. Since this car is a weekend cruiser that sees no track time, subframe connectors just weren't in my sights.

Yeah I’m in the same situation. Went to the track on a whim 10 years ago just to see what kind of time I could lay down. But it’s just for Saturday cruising now. I’ll check out the part you suggested. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dhughes12

Established Member

By chance, do you remember what bushings you replaced? I’d like to get a set, just not sure exactly what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
IMHO subframe are a must in these cars. The ones that come stock on the verts are crap. Replacing with weld ins is the way to go. I would also advise putting in a matrix brace and jacking rails while you are under there

Martin6107

Established Member
IMHO subframe are a must in these cars. The ones that come stock on the verts are crap. Replacing with weld ins is the way to go. I would also advise putting in a matrix brace and jacking rails while you are under there

It seems that most of the folks that have installed subframes are glad that they did. Like everything else, results are dependent on the quality of work done. I'd love to see some data on what the bracing actually does, though. Seat of the pants feel will improve for sure with subframes connecting to the seat bolts. But for a weekend cruiser I am just not sure.

This is the article I was thinking about in my previous post

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...why-subframe-connectors-benefit-your-mustang/

The test subject is an 03 Cobra, which is different than my 96, but their conclusion was interesting ...

Back in the garage, we repeated our chassis stresses and measurements for the "after subframe connectors" portion of the test. Surprisingly, the subframe connectors made little difference in our bending and twist measurements-the results were not significant and well within a reasonable margin of error

I think this means that subframes may be the right way to go for some objectives, but I am not clear exactly what that objective might be.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
yes .. because quoting an article that talks about putting subframes in a coupe is exactly comparable to putting them in a vert.

It seems that most of the folks that have installed subframes are glad that they did. Like everything else, results are dependent on the quality of work done. I'd love to see some data on what the bracing actually does, though. Seat of the pants feel will improve for sure with subframes connecting to the seat bolts. But for a weekend cruiser I am just not sure.

This is the article I was thinking about in my previous post

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...why-subframe-connectors-benefit-your-mustang/

The test subject is an 03 Cobra, which is different than my 96, but their conclusion was interesting ...

Back in the garage, we repeated our chassis stresses and measurements for the "after subframe connectors" portion of the test. Surprisingly, the subframe connectors made little difference in our bending and twist measurements-the results were not significant and well within a reasonable margin of error

I think this means that subframes may be the right way to go for some objectives, but I am not clear exactly what that objective might be.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
If you don't want to listen to people that have had them done, that tell you it's a must, that tell you that you won't regret it, that tell you that it's money well spent, well then that's your choice. I can tell you the difference in jacking my vert before welded in SF connectors and after is night vs day. I don't know many verts that are track cars (mine certainly isn't), but the benefits for my weekend cruiser are worth every penny.

Dhughes12

Established Member
I fully intend on installing them. I just saw a mention that vert's already had them and wanted to do a little extra research before placing the order. I def think im going to spring the little extra and get the ones with seat connectors.

Any one have any opinions on who (or what type of shop) to have install them correctly? I cant weld and one of my main concerns is the car not being the in the correct position when they are being tacked in.

shurur

Established Member
FTBR recommends specifically Stiffler or GW subframes vs MM subframe connectors for the verts.

You will notice the difference... even on a daily driver.

Tillerman77

Established Member
I fully intend on installing them. I just saw a mention that vert's already had them and wanted to do a little extra research before placing the order. I def think im going to spring the little extra and get the ones with seat connectors.

Any one have any opinions on who (or what type of shop) to have install them correctly? I cant weld and one of my main concerns is the car not being the in the correct position when they are being tacked in.
I have a coupe and I have not done these yet, but plan to. I talked with my local Ford dealership and asked if they had a great welder on staff. They pointed me to one of the guys in their body shop, who I talked to and showed him the MM installation sheets. Bottom line, I am going to use them, because the welder was recommended by a few mechanics I have talked to since and that the dealership can provide a drive on, ramped lift to do the welding.

Dhughes12

Established Member
I have a coupe and I have not done these yet, but plan to. I talked with my local Ford dealership and asked if they had a great welder on staff. They pointed me to one of the guys in their body shop, who I talked to and showed him the MM installation sheets. Bottom line, I am going to use them, because the welder was recommended by a few mechanics I have talked to since and that the dealership can provide a drive on, ramped lift to do the welding.

thanks for the great idea. I talked to one really good shop that has a "guy that can weld" but that didnt make me too confident. Ill swing by the dealership this afternoon and talk to them about it.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Back when I did the cheap bolt in style BBK SFCs on my 96 vert it was a night and day difference. I modified them slightly and welded them in on top of the bolts.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
Quality subframe connectors on any 79-04 Mustang is settled science. The answer is Yes.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Thought I would post up a couple pics of my set up. first is the MM subframe install, second is the custom matrix brace and last is with the exhaust installed
DSC_0006 (Medium).JPG Matrix01.jpg Matrix and exhaust.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread