97 Cobra with 03 Cobra engine

04OUTLAW

WWW.OUTLAWDIVISION.COM
Established Member
I GOT ****ED

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...643183-re-sale-1997-cobra-03-cobra-motor.html

Well fellow SVT members be glad that it wasn't you that bought this car. I recieved it Wednesday morning at 6am it was about 30 degrees I started the car drove a half a mile to the car wash. I left the car running for 5 mins just long enough to spray it off when I pulled away from the car wash I noticed the temp was running around 210 which much to warm for 30 degrees. I stopped checked the fan and it was working and blowing ice cold air I took the car home checked the antifreeze and the level was a little low in the reservior. I let it sit for 2 hours (went back to sleep) I figured it had an air pocket I pulled plug beside the blower and added 1 1/2 gallons of antifreeze to it. I started the car drove it on Interstate 30 around 70mph everything was looking good for about 3 miles the gauge started climbing fast note: that is the Autometer gauge and the factory dummy gauge. At 250 degrees I pulled over and popped the hood of course it was spewing everywhere. I called a wrecked had it towed to the shop and we replaced the thermostat and the water pump test drove the car and it still has the same problem. I texted Tyler (the seller) he said "the factory gauge was bad and to ignore it and the autometer gauge was 20 degrees off" but they both read the same hott. I asked him a week before if there any reason this car wouldn't make a 800 mile drive he said "no reason it's perfect" the weather got bad his way so I shipped it instead. I read a where he posted about replacing the thermostat and lets me know that he is lying to me about this car. I take my hat off to you Tyler you really ****ed me out 10,300 dollars that why I'm posting this so you never **** anyone else on this site.

BlownCobra32v

Kickin' back
Established Member
For some reason this doesn't suprise me.... I'm willing to bet more gremlins will come out of the closet.

Sorry to hear man, that's a lot of $ to be out!!!

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Well what all happened? I wouldn't say you are completely out of that cash, did you toast the motor or just trying to track down this overheating issue still?

higgins363

Established Member
ok first off i did NOT F*** you over, nor did i lie to you in anyway! I clearly stated that.... About a month ago the cars Autometer gauge was reading to hot, never over 235, so i took the car in to an autoshop called Nelsons Tire, it was there for about 2 hours when they called and told me the car was fine, it was just a bad sensor on the Autometer gauge and it was 20 degrees higher than the car really was, so all they said needed replaced was the sensor, I was under the impression that the dummy temp gauge was still functional as well as the Autometer tach, I drove the cobra everyday for the past 2 to 3 weeks and there was not even a little sign of any problem whatsoever, when the BUYER finally figured out when and how he would have the car paid for and shipped, the shipper came to my work where i drove the car 30 miles that DAY without a sign, and the shipper left the car running for 45 minutes while moving other cars around on the trailor and did it overheat then? NO. so point blank you some how got screwed yes i will agree to that but the car was in perfect working order as it left my sight last Friday.

sptzvnm

Established Member
That story "blows". Just be thankful you did not pick the car up and was left stranded. I picked a car up in Texas and it broke down 2 hours in a 11 hour drive. Just trying to be optimistic. If you like everything else about the car ( or if it is at least "as described"), you are not actually ****ed out of $10,3000. It could be an easy fix, and in that case, you are only screwed out of the amount of the unforeseen repair. Better than buying a highly modded car, have it shipped, and discover that the motor is blown ( that would be one of my many ****ed stories ). If HIGGINS363 is a stand up guy, he would offer to reimburse you for "said" repair. Really...'the car was in perfect working order as it left my sight' is somewhat of a cop-out. Anyway, once you calm down just a little bit, whats done is done and I hope you can think of the positives and try to enjoy your car. Good Luck.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
I was looking at this car too and I decided to just leave it be due to what I was told by the seller. I too looked at the previous posts and saw the overheating issue. When I contacted the seller and the previous owner about it I never quite got a straight issue that was anywhere near explaining it in a technical manner so I let it be. I was also told that the kid you bought this car from was about 17 years old and didn't know whether the car had a solid axle or IRS when looking at it on a lift. That alone was a 'steer clear' sign for me. Sometimes cars like this require some special maintenance and that's just an accident waiting to happen in the hands of an inexperienced owner.

Sorry to hear this happened to you, but it's often the case that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Let's face it, a terminator swapped SN95 in 'perfect running order' for $10k is probably just that. I'm with you though, you got ****ed. Cooling issues don't just randomly arise for no apparent reason. Drain and replace all the coolant and oil and see what happens. These cars are a BITCH to burp as I'm sure you know, it could be something simple, but not so much visible in the hands of someone with such a lack of experience.

Hope it works out for you. It sucks, but I think I saw this coming.

higgins363

Established Member
Okay, I'm just goin to say that you guys are pretty brutal, I don't know how else to explain to you anymore than I have, yes he did get the crap end of the stick, first of all he doesn even know what's wrong with it yet!! And the day it left me it was running just fine as it sat an ran for 45 minutes to an hour waiting for the shipper to load it on the trailor, idk why, and yes! Um not completely dumb, I know wtf difference is between an irs and solid rear axle! So you obviously don't know what your talking about, yes the cobra I owned had a solid rear axle, yes I know how to take care of my cars, I still have no idea what's even wrong with the car, but whatever I guess I'm done.

DBlack1

Established Member
I'd check the headgaskets. Do a leak down test, and after the new headgaskets make sure to get a good tune.

svtcharged

svtcharged
Established Member
u sure it wasnt me that bought the car that sounds like my luck bro. im free to help u any day of the week man i am unemployed i have tools and mechanical skills. m grateful for ur help so if u need help in return holler at me! BENJI (903) 277-7069

jalock87

Established Member
This similar incident happened to my buddy about 4 months ago. The car had an 03 motor that was procharged and it ran fine for a while, but eventually started overheating. He had oil in his water and the car kept getting really hot. We ruled that it wasnt a head gasket because there should have been water in the oil. Found that it was a cracked oil cooler. We also replaced the thermostat and waterpump just for safe measure. After all new parts were installed the car still overheated. We finally got the system burped after three tries and it has no overheating issues at all. The first thing I would suggest is to make sure you have the cooling system burped properly and see what happens. This is the easiest fix at this point if you have already replaced some of the parts in the cooling system. I know how it feels to buy a car and it not run like it should, I hope this helps and best of luck with the new car!

benulis55

Established Member
i was VERY serious about buying this car

very tempting deal...but something didnt feel right from the start...

Im not bashing you tyler, but your story changed a few times when we talked. He said the gauge read 20 degrees high...made no sense to me....then he said it read 210 (therefore runs at 190), not bad at all...then it was 215, then 225 tops....and like if i asked if it had a certain specific issue, he might mention something, but if i asked the general question of how is it, the answer was that it was perfect

another member on this forum took a ride in the car and said the car was legit more or less...i still didnt buy it

i was planning to fly out the day before thanksgiving and driveback and get home thanksgiving morning...thank heaven i didnt

hopefully you can get it fixed and everything is OK. if the car was being driven like he admits it was, and it was running hot the whole time, thats not good

if it was me i would look into some sort of refund for the repairs at the minimum....i once heard theres like a 3-day law where if something majors goes wrong the seller is liable....i never looked into it though

lesson to SVTP members....dont buy cars from 17 yr olds

i feel for ya man

95PGTTech

Established Member
Lets figure out the problem first before getting all worked up.

+1

jumping the gun by the buyer and a terribly immature response by the seller. diagnose the car and get an estimate, then post back. you already threw a thermostat and a water pump at the problem and failed, you or your "mechanic" clearly aren't perfect technicians either.

04OUTLAW

WWW.OUTLAWDIVISION.COM
Established Member
ok first off i did NOT F*** you over, nor did i lie to you in anyway! I clearly stated that.... About a month ago the cars Autometer gauge was reading to hot, never over 235, so i took the car in to an autoshop called Nelsons Tire, it was there for about 2 hours when they called and told me the car was fine, it was just a bad sensor on the Autometer gauge and it was 20 degrees higher than the car really was, so all they said needed replaced was the sensor, I was under the impression that the dummy temp gauge was still functional as well as the Autometer tach, I drove the cobra everyday for the past 2 to 3 weeks and there was not even a little sign of any problem whatsoever, when the BUYER finally figured out when and how he would have the car paid for and shipped, the shipper came to my work where i drove the car 30 miles that DAY without a sign, and the shipper left the car running for 45 minutes while moving other cars around on the trailor and did it overheat then? NO. so point blank you some how got screwed yes i will agree to that but the car was in perfect working order as it left my sight last Friday.

First off you told me the car was snowed in at your gf's house. Second I paid for the car a week before it was picked so why were you still driving the "BUYER'S" car? I understand you really don't know much but here's a small lesson there's no "perfect" cars with 4 core radiators electric fans in 15-20 degree weather running 235-250 degrees. That is a BIG ASS sign hmm something is really wrong of course the reason why you took it to a shop. Weather you know it or not your the reason I got screwed and only you can make it right and you know it.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Sorry to hear...it's always risky buying used...good luck, hope it's a simple fix

Users who are viewing this thread