97 Cobra Restomod - Snow Pony

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I had to dig out all of the sealer ford used to basically glue the trunk hinges in place in order to shift the trunk to the right a bit. then some hammering and filing got the corner looking pretty straight. everything was crooked on this car and its never been wrecked to my knowledge. nice quality control SVT.

tf4.jpg
tf5.jpg
tf6.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
the gap above the taillights doesn't quite match so i aim to fix that. see how the material now follows the fender line?
that's what im talkin' bout.

trunkgap.jpg

shurur

Established Member
My 99 has the same trunk fitment issues.
I dug up all the sealant and resealed with flex goop shit. Now I have to pull that up and redo with por 15.

Also my spoiler is mounted 2.75" (the max) back. That and the ill aligned trunk chip the rear edges of the trunk from closing.

Another side project.

Last edited:

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Removed paint get her ready for fresh primer. took a while. the paint job was bad but they sure did make it stick.
I also patched the hole for the old trunk key so i can get that sucker all symmetrical and what not.

trunk10.jpg
trunk11.jpg
trunk12.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
took a lot of massaging but im finally happy with the trunk. a little more sanding and she'll be ready for primer.

trunk14.jpg

money shot of the trunk key assembly in place.

trunk15.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
okay, so major surgery on trunk is complete and in primer. i got a couple runs (new gun/haven't shot primer in a while) but a lot of that will just get block sanded anyhow when i do the whole car.
trunk18.jpg
trunk19.jpg
trunk20.jpg
trunk21.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Coming along nicely! Those wheel dollies are a big help, aren't they.

Blown38

Established Member
I pulled a back glass from a t bird once. It was the worst. One of these days I'll do it again so I can have defrost lines that work.

Great job so far!

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
welded up all the jaked up holes, straightened the pinch welds, cleaned up excess metal, and cut out holes for the side exhaust.

I'll mud up and smooth these things tomorrow.

se0.jpg
se1.jpg
se2.jpg
se3.jpg

96dreamer

Established Member
What did you use to straighten the pinch welds? Just pliers and a lot of patients? Mine are absolutely wrecked from years of the previous owner using them as jacking points. I'm petty sure they are to far gone to fix.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
whatever it takes. hammer and dollie, bigger hammer sometimes, grinder, cutoff wheel, welder.
mine were JACKED as well. morons trying to jack up the car by these rails should be flogged.

Users who are viewing this thread