97 cobra C head swap questions.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
So, I'm going about a c head swap on my 97 cobra. I believe I have all the parts I need to do it. Heads, intake, lid adapter, ect.

1. for the fuel rails, who has done what to mount the factory rails? Photos of what you did? I dont really care to drop much more money on aftermarket rails at the moment.

2. Coolant crossover. I know it will need modified, not too concerning, but would like to see what those that have re-used the 96-98 cobra crossover have done.

3. Exhaust manifolds. I'm using heads off an 05 aviator. The exhaust ports being shaped differently wont be a concern using my manifolds will they? Will I need 03-04 cobra/mach manifolds?

Those are my three biggest questions, I'm sure I'll come across something in the future, but I'd rather be ready to correct an issue now, as opposed to waiting to have a running car when it comes to modifying/building rails. Hope to have it going by the first of the year. Maybe... hopefully...

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GodStang

Established Member
You are probably better off asking in the sn95 section as they have swapped the B to C heads more often than us since we come with the 03-04 design of the C heads.

1. Skipping I have aftermarket

2. You can do a crossover delete which may help you with your build. I think MMR makes one.

3. I would recommend getting the correct exhaust manifolds. Pretty sure you can pick up a set of 03-04 manifolds for next to nothing since most have gone to aftermarket headers.

So, I'm going about a c head swap on my 97 cobra. I believe I have all the parts I need to do it. Heads, intake, lid adapter, ect.

1. for the fuel rails, who has done what to mount the factory rails? Photos of what you did? I dont really care to drop much more money on aftermarket rails at the moment.

2. Coolant crossover. I know it will need modified, not too concerning, but would like to see what those that have re-used the 96-98 cobra crossover have done.

3. Exhaust manifolds. I'm using heads off an 05 aviator. The exhaust ports being shaped differently wont be a concern using my manifolds will they? Will I need 03-04 cobra/mach manifolds?

Those are my three biggest questions, I'm sure I'll come across something in the future, but I'd rather be ready to correct an issue now, as opposed to waiting to have a running car when it comes to modifying/building rails. Hope to have it going by the first of the year. Maybe... hopefully...

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
You are probably better off asking in the sn95 section as they have swapped the B to C heads more often than us since we come with the 03-04 design of the C heads.

1. Skipping I have aftermarket

2. You can do a crossover delete which may help you with your build. I think MMR makes one.

3. I would recommend getting the correct exhaust manifolds. Pretty sure you can pick up a set of 03-04 manifolds for next to nothing since most have gone to aftermarket headers.
I've been posting in this section, as the sn-95 doesnt have an engine tech section that I've found.

1. No problem.
2. I'd like to stay with the stock crossover for now, but do plan on going the route of mmr eventually.
3. Kinda what I figured I'd hear. I'll scout the classifieds.

GodStang

Established Member
I've been posting in this section, as the sn-95 doesnt have an engine tech section that I've found.

1. No problem.
2. I'd like to stay with the stock crossover for now, but do plan on going the route of mmr eventually.
3. Kinda what I figured I'd hear. I'll scout the classifieds.

I wasn't trying to be mean about posting here. I will check to see if I still have mine. I went to longtubes in 2005 so not sure if I still have them or not.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I have factory 03 manifolds sitting in the garage. They are only valuable really to people making turbo kits with flipped manifolds. I'd sell them for $50 bucks and shipping unless you get to Kansas City much then we could just meet.

Anyway, to answer the questions.

1. You will have to relocate the tabs that bolt to the intake. Once you get the intake and rail side by side you'll see. You'll have to reweld the tabs in the correct location.

2. You can hack up the 96-98 one where it mounts. Mine leaked at the o rings so I made my own coolant delete.

3. The exhaust shape is different though the bolt pattern is the same. I'd suggest changing. If you want long tubes pacesetters are affordable and quality. Otherwise as mentioned before a set of manifolds would be cheap.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
1.I've got my rails on the manifold now. Gonna start hacking after work.

2. Will hack once heads are on.

3. Probably gonna look into manifolds for the time being, as I'm planning on buying a forward facing on3 kit in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread