Twisted2

Established Member
Hi, all.

Over the years, I've grown desperate to make my '96 Cobra run cooler.

If I had a '97 or '98 radiator, brackets, and fan, what's involved in making them fit a '96 Cobra? I'd appreciate any specific info. Thanks.

jgt58

Established Member
You would be better off buying a good misimoto radiator and the head cooling mod. Maybe an Edelbrock hi flow water pump

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jgt58

Established Member
Also you need to get a 97 or 98 AC condenser. That was the big issue with them.

Twisted2

Established Member
Thanks for the quick replies. That's a good point. I actually had the condenser upgraded years ago, but it only made a slight difference.

I'm finally open to the idea of an aftermarket radiator. Every time I've researched them though, I've read reviews/reports of them leaking in a year or two, regardless of brand. I'm actually going to make a separate thread on that. Have you had luck with mishimoto radiators? Thanks again.

Twisted2

Established Member
I hate to ask, but can someone tell me how to edit the thread title? I've spent like 15 minutes trying to figure it out. (Haven't posted in like 6 years).

streetpilot

Established Member
Just put an '03 Cobra radiator and fan in it if you've already changed out the condenser. You'll need to swap to the later ('97-'04) lower radiator mounts (air hammer them out, then weld in newer mounts and paint 'em). You can reuse the '96 upper mount brackets- just reorient them to use the other holes in the top of the core support (what I did on my '96).

Twisted2

Established Member
Just put an '03 Cobra radiator and fan in it if you've already changed out the condenser. You'll need to swap to the later ('97-'04) lower radiator mounts (air hammer them out, then weld in newer mounts and paint 'em). You can reuse the '96 upper mount brackets- just reorient them to use the other holes in the top of the core support (what I did on my '96).

That's great info, Streetpilot. I may get more info from you on that, if I go that route. Thank you.

jgt58

Established Member
Best answer of the night

two5r

Established Member
Just wanted to add this helped my car run cooler. last time my car was on the dyno my tuner adjusted my fan speeds and helped a lot, went back to stock radiator and 97-98 A/C condenser hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Twisted2

Established Member
That's great info. I wound up installing a Mishimoto radiator, and a new stock fan. Getting ready to post the results in a separate thread. It's great to know that the 97+ fans can be made to work though. Thank you.

Tom

jgt58

Established Member
That's great info. I wound up installing a Mishimoto radiator, and a new stock fan. Getting ready to post the results in a separate thread. It's great to know that the 97+ fans can be made to work though. Thank you.

Tom
Make sure you keep a close eye on the welds. Also did you order the misi mount kit?

Twisted2

Established Member
Make sure you keep a close eye on the welds. Also did you order the misi mount kit?

Yes, I got the full floating system, upper mounts included. It's a pretty nice setup. Trying to figure out how to upload pictures in another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread