96 Probe DD..any interest?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Anyone interested in a 96 Probe for a DD? My father in law picked this car up from Scott a few years back and finally got himself something a little newer. Car still runs great, and has had the front clip repainted now (which it desperately needed) after getting backed into in a parking garage.

It's a white 96 Probe GT. Here are the details that I know of off hand, I'll get the rest of the info (mileage and what he wants for it more specifically) if anyone at all is interested. I'd assume he'll ask around KBB value though.

Mods:
Tokico Struts
Lowering springs (..I forget the brand)
Full Borla Exhaust
Injen intake

The car is a 5speed, and has working A/C, working VRIS solenoids, and a new ECM. It's also got a new catalytic converter, plugs and wires are recent, new brake booster, new master cylinder, and a small pile of other new or recent parts. Billy, myself, or Koon's Ford has done all of the work on the car that I'm aware of. Car still runs great, but my FIL wanted a convertible so he finally went out and got himself a Volvo Hardtop Convertible, and no longer has a place to keep the probe.

If anyone is interested in this thing, let me know and I'll get the rest of the details and some pictures.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
thought-bubble.gif

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Hmmmm...pics, price, milage, and I'll talk to the old lady lol

159k. 2k ish. No pics yet. He's supposed to get those my way tonight.

LOL, no chance. I've got to many cars already, even if I did want it, I'd have nowhere to park it. The garage is full with both Fox's in there, and the driveway is already full with the ST, the Exploder, and the ole F150. If I didn't have the vert I'd consider it for an auto-x car. I plan on taking the GT out to the auto-x once I get it a little further along. It's not really raceable at the moment because my front spindle setup will cause me some serious bump steer issues. I either need to swap those out, or complete what I had intended to do and get an MM K-Member setup before I go racing. I've also got my panhard bar to install, just chillin' in the corner. I haven't had time to work on it at all :(.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
It's not really raceable at the moment because my front spindle setup will cause me some serious bump steer issues. I either need to swap those out, or complete what I had intended to do and get an MM K-Member setup before I go racing. I've also got my panhard bar to install, just chillin' in the corner. I haven't had time to work on it at all :(.

And yet...the Probe is ready to go. I remember when Scott was building it for the track, it would work for AX as well. Just as it sits (if nothing was tinkered with).

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Doesn't it qualify for historic tags yet? lol. Did really want it to work for a track car, but I've been spoiled for too long with power and torque. It is definitely fun and zippy! Great for a high schooler, too!

wheelhopper

Established Member
159k. 2k ish. No pics yet. He's supposed to get those my way tonight.

LOL, no chance. I've got to many cars already, even if I did want it, I'd have nowhere to park it. The garage is full with both Fox's in there, and the driveway is already full with the ST, the Exploder, and the ole F150. If I didn't have the vert I'd consider it for an auto-x car. I plan on taking the GT out to the auto-x once I get it a little further along. It's not really raceable at the moment because my front spindle setup will cause me some serious bump steer issues. I either need to swap those out, or complete what I had intended to do and get an MM K-Member setup before I go racing. I've also got my panhard bar to install, just chillin' in the corner. I haven't had time to work on it at all :(.

And your heels don't match your dress. Blah blah blah. Stop making excuses. You have a perfectly good ST ready for some HPDE fun and I know plenty of guys running Mustangs without panhard bars. I just happen to know of a several events coming up at Summit Point you could get in on. The earlier you sign up the cheaper it costs.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
And yet...the Probe is ready to go. I remember when Scott was building it for the track, it would work for AX as well. Just as it sits (if nothing was tinkered with).

Yeah, it would. I just don't have anywhere to park it, nor the budget to buy it. Otherwise I would get it.

Doesn't it qualify for historic tags yet? lol. Did really want it to work for a track car, but I've been spoiled for too long with power and torque. It is definitely fun and zippy! Great for a high schooler, too!

No, not yet. I think the threshold is 20 years, so it has 2 years left to go. It is a fun little car, but it's a little short on power IMO.

And your heels don't match your dress. Blah blah blah. Stop making excuses. You have a perfectly good ST ready for some HPDE fun and I know plenty of guys running Mustangs without panhard bars. I just happen to know of a several events coming up at Summit Point you could get in on. The earlier you sign up the cheaper it costs.

LOL. True, the panhard bar isn't the issue with the fox, it's the spindles (I only mentioned the bar because I've had it for over 2 years and haven't even had the chance to install it yet). It's fine for driving around on the street, but not for on track use. MM has a great writeup on it..and if I hadn't had homeowner expenses pop up when I was in the middle of my conversion, I wouldn't have the problem. Still, the biggest issue for me on that car is time. I don't have any. I have about 3 or 4 things on it that are 3/4 finished that I haven't had the time to complete. I haven't even driven it since last fall... I'll probably end up autox'ing it once it's done though, not open track. Until the kids are out of daycare I just don't have the budget for open track events.

I think there is an autox event coming up in a couple of weeks that I"ll take the focus too. While the other cars aren't ready for track time, I might as well race the DD.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Back on topic a little..I should have pictures to post up tonight or tomorrow. My Father in Law thinks he will get the pics tonight, so whether or not I post them up tonight will depend on what time I get them.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'll check, there's a chance my daughter may be coming back from South Korea sooner than expected and if so may need cheap transportation.
May take a while to find out, though. They're in some other dimension or something.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
I have a buddy (maca guy who is rarely on svtp lol) who might be interested. He's hopefully selling is v6 mustang daily next week. If the probe is still around I'll make sure he gets to check out this thread again

bpmurr

Established Member
I might be interested in it as a daily when the pics drop.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Still waiting on the pictures myself. I'll ping him today. If he takes much longer, I'll post the ones from when I detailed it about two years ago. Last time I saw it, it looked almost identical, except the front clip had been repainted thanks to someone backing into him in his parking garage at home. So all the chips, scratches, and what not that I couldn't get out were all taken care of.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
My 16 year old daughter just got her drivers license. Not sure if she needs a car of that has the abilities of this one. I am tempted. She is smart but a blonde, so I am a little worried about the stick shift.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
My 16 year old daughter just got her drivers license. Not sure if she needs a car of that has the abilities of this one. I am tempted. She is smart but a blonde, so I am a little worried about the stick shift.

I dunno about your daughter, but my little sister became a better driver after she learned how to drive a stick. It forced her to pay more attention to what she was doing. And that was before you could text and drive.

I haven't heard back from my daughter yet. Re-emailed her.
Mike, when your FIL needed parts, were they easy to source?

No, auto parts stores usually had what he needed, and rock auto had what the local stores didn't. All but the EGR, that isn't made anymore apparently.

There are a few Probe specific aftermarket places out there that have all the maintenance things you'll need.

Neat. Didn't know about those.

Users who are viewing this thread