96 mustang beat a 96 thunderbird?

Jon03Cobra

Established Member
My friend has a 96 Mustang GT its got exhaust but other than that it is stock and i have a96 thunderbird. Its all stock everything on it. It has about 230,000 miles on the thunderbird and the Gt has alot less than a 100,000. I was wondering who do yall think will win. It keeps saying he would kill me but from what i heard those cars only put about 170-180 to the wheels. so what do yall think? Thanks for the info.

8ate8

Established Member
You got a V6 or V8? Either way, the Mustang would beat ya. You have to remember our cars weigh near 4000lbs compared to the mustang's near 3600. btw, a 94-97 thunderbird v8 only puts down about 170-180 at the wheels as well. factor in an extra 400lbs, and there's your answer.

BluBird

Established Member
Jon03Cobra said:
I heard the 96 mustang only puts out like 170-180 to the wheels. Its a V8 the thunderbird.
Hey I live near you in Gun Barrell I sometimes go up to Cedar creek drag strip. You might have seen my Bird its a Blue 5.0. Ask that stang to come up to the track and lets see what he got. :D

Jon03Cobra

Established Member
No I havent seen around. What year is your bird? My just a daily driver stock and I never really race it. Question about 96 LX rearend is it really easy to break? So what kind of mods do you have on yours? ;-)

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
Jon03Cobra said:
No I havent seen around. What year is your bird? My just a daily driver stock and I never really race it. Question about 96 LX rearend is it really easy to break? So what kind of mods do you have on yours? ;-)

that mustang will beat your bird. they have pretty much the same motor but the mustang has a big weight advantage. the bird should run mid-high 15's. that mustang should run high 14's. the 96 rear end is not week. they can take a beating. in my 97 i was running 4.10 gears and a 75 shot of nitrous without any extra bracing or anything. you can do a few cheap mods to the 4.6 birds and they will be a nice little sleeper. i want to get another one eventually for my daily driver/sleeper.

Frank

Teal94BirdV8

5.0 HO
Established Member
well...

I once lined up against a 96-98 GT, with Flowmasters and a BBK Fenderwell CAI. Needless to say, he thought he could prolly beat my lard ass Thunderbird...

Low and behold, I had a .55 second (Yes, half a second) margin of win on his ass..

This was done with my LX. See, its NOT IMPOSSIBLE....

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
Teal94BirdV8 said:
well...

I once lined up against a 96-98 GT, with Flowmasters and a BBK Fenderwell CAI. Needless to say, he thought he could prolly beat my lard ass Thunderbird...

Low and behold, I had a .55 second (Yes, half a second) margin of win on his ass..

This was done with my LX. See, its NOT IMPOSSIBLE....

i also took out lots of 96-98 gt's in my thunderbird after some bolt ons. after a small shot of nitrous i could take out a lot of 99-04 gt's too. but like i said, both cars in stock trim with equal drivers, the mustang will win, no questions asked.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread