96 cobra or 05-06 gt

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I am looking to add another pony to the stable. I recently came across a stock 96 cobra with only 2500 miles on it. I also have seen a few 05-06 gts similarly priced with around 25 to 30,000 miles.

Which would you get and why?

Thanks.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I am looking to add another pony to the stable. I recently came across a stock 96 cobra with only 2500 miles on it. I also have seen a few 05-06 gts similarly priced with around 25 to 30,000 miles.

Which would you get and why?

Thanks.

And that price is? It would be hard to turn down a 96 cobra with only 2500 miles, although the S197's ride quality is greatly improved over the SN-95.

Have you even ridden/driven a 05+? I would do so first before making the choice.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
i test drove one once. it felt pretty nice. Each are listed around 17995. I am sure both can be talked down.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
you might be able to catch the butt end of that 06's warranty, which would at least be reassuring. Beyond that, a cobra hands down. Similar power, although in comparison, the GT's are a dime a dozen when put next to Cobras.

One other thing to keep in mind...you plannin on financing this car? You'll be lucky to get anymore then 36 months on a 96-98 cobra, where as you might even be able to still slide up to 60 months still on an 06. The GT would be almost 1/2 the payment per month if you're looking for something more friendly to the checkbook.

Just a thought :beer: good luck

blueovalfan

Established Member
If its going to be a DD then I would deff choose the s197, its better in every way imaginable than my 00GT. If its just going to be a nice weekend toy then dont pass up the 2500mi cobra.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Cobra..as said before
i see 239473 GTs every day, but rarely do I come across another Cobra

as for ride quality, I could care less...if interior and ride quality were factors in my purchase, I wouldn't have gotten the Cobra..

JasonSnake

Established Member
Get the Cobra.. more people will turn their heads. It's like the older our SN95's get, the more looks & respect we get, even from the ricers.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
GT hands down it may have 2.5k miles but im sure your gonna drive it...your paying alot for it being low mileage...only good if you arent gonna drive it either...i buy my cars to beat them:)

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I have an 08 and LOVE it. Better hands down than any mustang I have ever had before(5 foxes,mach 1, 03 cobra). That being said there is a certain draw to the Cobra. Hell Im trading one of my foxes for a 96 friday. The cobra sounds REALLY nice or better be for that low of miles and that high of price, but with that being said everytime you drive it the value is gonna go down. I'd get the S197 so you can drive it and not worry about the value because its going to go down a little whether you drive it or leave it in the garage.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Are you planning of driving it everyday, once a week, couple of times a month, once a month, haul it to shows? It really depends on what your plans are for the car.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I think it's a pretty tough call. You have more options to mod the newer car than the old one. Intakes, twin screws, and so forth. With the 96, you can do everything you can to the newer car, but it is going to cost you more.

For a daily driver, I think they are a wash. The only thing you have to consider is if you really want to drive a 13 year old car or not. When you tell most people you have a Mustang, they are now probaly thinking of the 05+ cars. If that doesn't bother you, then I'd say do the 96 for the same reasons most people listed.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
thanks for the replies guys. am leanoing towards the s197. it will be a daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread