96 Cobra Mid-Pipe Install Question

laddanator

Established Member
People say they're reusable as long as the gasket hasn't seperate, but honestly, I always replace mine. Again, you can reuse it, but I always get nervous reusing gaskets in PITA places.

Last edited:

robb15033

Established Member
Thank You! I will probably get one.
Another question: How difficult is it to install a midpipe without a lift?
-I will have an off-road mid-pipe & cut into it to clamp in hi-flow cats, reconnected to proChamber. I have the clamps, cats, 4 new O2 sensors, O2 extensions, MIL eliminators, and Proxhamber. Re-connect to Spintechs from outlet of ProChamber.
Thanks again,
-Robb

cbrown9064

Established Member
Thank You! I will probably get one.
Another question: How difficult is it to install a midpipe without a lift?
-I will have an off-road mid-pipe & cut into it to clamp in hi-flow cats, reconnected to proChamber. I have the clamps, cats, 4 new O2 sensors, O2 extensions, MIL eliminators, and Proxhamber. Re-connect to Spintechs from outlet of ProChamber.
Thanks again,
-Robb

just did did a trans R&R, clutch install on jack stands and it wasn't that bad. Get it up in the air as high as you can on all 4 corners.

tip...you need to take off the passenger side front O2 sensor to get to the nuts off the manifold stud. About the only thing that gets in there is a 7/8" wrench. Buy a cheapy combo and cut a slot in the box end. This will allow you to slip it past the wires and get multiple positions to crack it loose. I did it with the open end, but lots of cussing and tiny movements. A O2 sensor removal tool really is not helpful in this area.

putting the mid pipe back in with the mufflers still on takes some gymnastics...pressing the mufflers back with your foot to squeeze the pipe into place. Having someone to help makes the process super easy.

The O2 sensor removal will probably take the longest out of the whole deal.

SVTPete83

Established Member
These tips are all spot on. The only thing I have not seen recommended is penatrating oil. Let everything soak with it over night and it will make your life easier.

cbrown9064

Established Member
These tips are all spot on. The only thing I have not seen recommended is penatrating oil. Let everything soak with it over night and it will make your life easier.

+1

Oh yeah, definitely!!! I sprayed all my exhaust hardware (manifold studs/nuts and bolts from mid to mufflers) down with PB Blaster a couple days before I wanted to start on the trans removal. I already had it on jack stands at this point and needed to wait for the weekend to remove the trans. If you have that luxury, spray it down a couple times. PB Blaster is my favorite. The more time you give it the better it works.

Stolen 98

Established Member
Which MIL Eliminators did you buy? I bought American Muscles set (last July) and they do not work for me. Let me know how it goes for you....

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
FWIW, I've never had to take an oxygen sensor out to get the midpipe off. Just use an extension, a swivel adapter, and a deep socket for the tricky ones on the passanger side. Much easier to take the sensors out when the pipe is out of the car. Simply unplug the sensors and remove the pipe.

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member

robb15033

Established Member
You might consider giving this method a try: http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/215795-5-o2-cheater-non-fouler-how.html

I ran these for about 5 years without ever throwing a rear O2 CEL and others have had similar success.
-Those extensions look really cool. I love seeing ideas like that. I love creating options like that. Really cool.
FWIW, I've never had to take an oxygen sensor out to get the midpipe off. Just use an extension, a swivel adapter, and a deep socket for the tricky ones on the passanger side. Much easier to take the sensors out when the pipe is out of the car. Simply unplug the sensors and remove the pipe.
-Yeah, I am installing 4 new O2 sensors. I can hack at the existing midpipe and sensors that are in the way.
Which MIL Eliminators did you buy? I bought American Muscles set (last July) and they do not work for me. Let me know how it goes for you....
-I got the set from Latemodel Restoration. Hear anything good/bad about those? I am installing two new hi-flow cats on the ProChamber, so I most likely won't be using the MIL Eliminators & will probably just give them to someone who needs them.
**If ANYONE can find a video of a Cobra with a ProChamber, cats, and Spintech 9000 mufflers, I would love to hear it. I have looked, could not find one.
Thanks!

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Make sure to post a video of the new exhaust!

I'm contemplating going with the Pro Streets (6000) with my off road X. I love the sound from my Streets (3000's) but want it louder. Don't want to lose sound quality though.

robb15033

Established Member
Attempting install myself on Tuesday as long as the gasket arrives.
I love the 9000 Series. They should sound absolutely sick and perfect when done. I will be cutting the Prochamber midpipe and clamping in hi-flow cats. Six cats come out, two go in. The combo of cats and Prochamber will mellow out the tone just right, the Spintechs will then release the right tone/volume (As apposed to an offroad system). That's the plan!
I will post a video for sure. Cant find another with exactly the same components. Finding a video with a catted ProChamber is difficult, so I'll post one.

Users who are viewing this thread