96 Cobra Issues

04mysticsvt

Established Member
I swapped a 1996 Cobra motor into my 89 Coupe. I've just started driving it and have noticed a few issues and thought I'd get some opinions on what the problems could be.

Other than the body, it is a complete 96 Cobra with 52k miles. (Only current mods: Off-road X-Pipe and 4:10 gears)

1) After I drive it a mile or so, the brakes start sticking. First you can hear the back brakes and then the front start.

2) As I try and accelerate in first gear, it bogs down at 4k rpm and sputters. It was doing this in second gear as well but, it stopped after I drove it a while.

Current Engine Codes:

P1131- Lack of H02S11 Switches - Sensor Indicates Lean (See 2195)
P1519- Intake Manifold Runner Contol Stuck Closed (Bank 1) (see P2006)

Other than these two issue, it seems to run well. It idles as it should and seems to stop well.

Any help would be appreciated, after I fix these issues, it will finally be road worthy.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MysticChaos

Established Member
P1519 could be the cause of your second issue. It's a fairly common issue with that motor. There are a few write ups floating around the web on how to clean them.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
The second problem is a common issue with 96-98 Cobras. IMRCs are set to open up at 3250rpms. They eventually get soiled from the PCV/EGR combination of oil and heat. The secondary intake ports also see no fuel from the injectors, so there's nothing to aid keeping them clean. Here is a write-up from the Common Issues thread on cleaning them, or you can make deletes and use mwolsons device to fool the PCM without getting a tune for the CEL.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?178518-FAQ-SN95-common-issues&p=2169431&viewfull=1#post2169431

Last edited:

04mysticsvt

Established Member
Thanks for the link.

What about the brakes? I've heard the lines can collaspe but, would this cause them to drag?

Users who are viewing this thread