96 cobra, is it a good deal

cobratang

Established Member
I'm thinking of purchasing a 96 cobra convertible. It's 1 owner traded in for a new cobra. Good condition. Completely stock. For $10,500. Here's the catch. It has a tmu title. The speedometer stopped working last year at 50K miles. (documented) Now the speedometer works. So it wasn't tracking the mileage for year. So I'm thinking at the most it has 60-70K. Do you think this car would still alright to get. It's a great price, just not sure about the mileage problem. Thanks

97RRCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by cobratang
I'm thinking of purchasing a 96 cobra convertible. It's 1 owner traded in for a new cobra. Good condition. Completely stock. For $10,500. Here's the catch. It has a tmu title. The speedometer stopped working last year at 50K miles. (documented) Now the speedometer works. So it wasn't tracking the mileage for year. So I'm thinking at the most it has 60-70K. Do you think this car would still alright to get. It's a great price, just not sure about the mileage problem. Thanks

The price seems fair for the car, I paid 10,500$ for a 96 GT with 52K Miles, Mint but auto and no leather, as per the mileage situation I think it shouldnt be to much of a prob due to the fact it seems he was in good faith and reported it instead of just buying a new guage cluster or something. I think you should go for it! Thats a pretty decent price! :rolling:

Last edited:

97RRCOBRA

Established Member
I think I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow. Is there anything I should look for? What are the common problems with a 96?

They had a parking break recall and I believe thats it, make sure to check and see if the previous owner took of the snorkel, if so he probbably ragged on it. Thats all I can think of. Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Oh and the tranny was crap T-45 Borg Warner ones were, the Tremecs werent but they werent put in till 98, so make sure the tranny is still "in tact".

Last edited:

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
Originally posted by 97RRCOBRA
They had a parking break recall and I believe thats it, make sure to check and see if the previous owner took of the snorkel, if so he probbably ragged on it. Thats all I can think of. Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Oh and the tranny was crap T-45 Borg Warner ones were, the Tremecs werent but they werent put in till 98, so make sure the tranny is still "in tact".

Yeah...there was a parking break recall on most SN-95's, which a Ford Dealer will fix for free, and I can feel my synchro's from first to second are starting to grind. (w/ the T-45 and 87K on it)

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
1996 Cobras had a "cooling issue". A TSB was issued and if you were under warranty and complained about it they replaced your radiatorand condensor to a 97 unit, removed the honeycomb grill and some plastic from under your hood. My car never overheated but did run warm so I switched to a Fluidyne radaitor and a manual fan switch. Just look for a sticker on your hood (insode of course) that says anything about the TSB being done. Some ran warm some didnt. I think that is a pretty fair price for the car. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Alex

cobratang

Established Member
I got the car. There was a couple of minor problems with it. It needs a door lock actuator and front tires. So I got the price down to $9,700. Can't believe I got a cobra convertible for under $10,000. Thanks for all your help. Can't wait for the mods to begin. What's the best things to do? I'm thinking gears, exhaust, and k&n.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
I got the car. There was a couple of minor problems with it. It needs a door lock actuator and front tires. So I got the price down to $9,700. Can't believe I got a cobra convertible for under $10,000. Thanks for all your help. Can't wait for the mods to begin. What's the best things to do? I'm thinking gears, exhaust, and k&n.

Gears in conjunction with a good shifter first, that will keep you happy for awhile. Exhaust and K&N should be done together also. Then work on making it look a little better, springs and struts with some caster/camber plates. Would probably redo all the suspension bushings being it's a '96. That should get you started.

Users who are viewing this thread