96 Cobra Hellion 76mm Turbo Kit Install

b00stin

Established Member
To give an update... I went back to the pro-m meter... I am working with a new tuner on this and we found that at idle the pro-m was giving us very low readings (75 mass air flow ad counts) no matter what we did with the tune. We swapped out the pro-m with a sct ba2400 meter just to make sure we were on the correct path...he wrote a baseline tune for the new meter and sure enough the counts were around 150 at idle which is around what you would like to see. I am thinking I will be going blow through since I will have to switch meters anyway at this point.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
To give an update... I went back to the pro-m meter... I am working with a new tuner on this and we found that at idle the pro-m was giving us very low readings (75 mass air flow ad counts) no matter what we did with the tune. We swapped out the pro-m with a sct ba2400 meter just to make sure we were on the correct path...he wrote a baseline tune for the new meter and sure enough the counts were around 150 at idle which is around what you would like to see. I am thinking I will be going blow through since I will have to switch meters anyway at this point.

Well that's good news. Once you get it all buttoned up, you should stop by your old tuner and show them that it was possible to get it running correctly, no thanks to them. Maybe they'll learn a thing or two about patience and basic diagnostics.

Many of us, myslef included, werent exactly right about what the problem was, but I'm not a dyno shop with all the diagnostic and tuning software you're paying good money for. Nothing frustrates me more than a shop that doesn't do good work, or one who I have to educate about how to fix it. They should be educating us.

Can't wait to see some dyno numbers!

mystical

Established Member
I'm shocked Walsh couldn't get it running, they are very reputable as far as I know. Did they troubleshoot it to try and figure out what's wrong? Who are you working with now?

otter

Established Member
I'm shocked Walsh couldn't get it running, they are very reputable as far as I know. Did they troubleshoot it to try and figure out what's wrong? Who are you working with now?

Send ya a pm back. Not sure if I have enough posts to send pm's though.

b00stin

Established Member
alright so i converted to a blow through mass air flow setup using the hpx pmas sensor in a vmp tuning housing. just got it completed today here are a few pics. i wanted to go blow through from the beginning and i figured since i had some down time i would just go ahead and do it.

IMG_20120528_144154.jpg

IMG_20120528_144416.jpg

got about a good 10 inches of straight pipe before the air hits the sensor.

IMG_20120528_144210.jpg

IMG_20120528_144033.jpg

IMG_20120528_144006.jpg

not the best pictures in the world.. but if anyone needs help converting in the future i can help.

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Besides a retune how much did u spend to go blow through. Also what about the blow off Valve and waste gate? Did u have to move them or what? I'm wanting to do this mod myself but needed some good advise and pics.

b00stin

Established Member
Besides a retune how much did u spend to go blow through. Also what about the blow off Valve and waste gate? Did u have to move them or what? I'm wanting to do this mod myself but needed some good advise and pics.

you will need a slot style maf sensor.. i used the pmas hpx slot style.. you will need a 3 inch tube to mount the sensor in...i chose the vmp tuning tube. you will need the 05+ mustang mass air flow harness for this sensor which incorporates the intake air temp sensor into it which is nice. i had to relocate the blow off valve.. i chose to mount it on the turbo outlet pipe between the turbo and the intercooler. the waste gate does not need to be moved. i cut the pipe in the fenderwell to add in the vmp tuning tube. a portion of the tube i cut i added (welded) to the pipe before the maf tube to add a little more straight pipe before the sensor to help with turbulence. I had a custom intake pipe made because the hellion one has provisions on it to recirculate the blow off valve to it which is not needed when going blow through. i also wanted to block off the pcv feed to the intake pipe because i will be running an oil catch can/separator... any specific pics that you want i can get and if you need to know anything else feel free to pm me.

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I predict you're going to have a shitload of maf wash with the variation in tubing size that your maf tube is relation to the rest of the piping. I hope I'm wrong (not likely). log your maf ad counts and get back to me if it varies more than 10 counts at idle.

b00stin

Established Member
Most tuners I have talked to said the 2.5 to 3 inch transition shouldn't affect it too much and that I should be OK... I drove it without a tune yesterday and it drove an lot smoother than before

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Most tuners I have talked to said the 2.5 to 3 inch transition shouldn't affect it too much and that I should be OK... I drove it without a tune yesterday and it drove an lot smoother than before

anything would drive smoother than before. believe me I hope I'm wrong, after all the trouble you've had recently. Just telling you what I've seen before- you have to imagine the pattern of the flow right before the maf tube, then what will happen as the tube expands and then constricts again. log it at idle-let me know, and I'll shut up I swear-lol.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it should drive fine. There are a lot of guys that have converted their Hellion kits to blow-thru using this exact same setup. To date, I haven't seen anyone have issues with it.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I hope it's not the case. all the maf wash problems would be lower in the maf count range and affect drivibility and idle- not WOT per say for anyone wondering.

b00stin

Established Member
well guys, car was dyno'd yesterday. i made ‎457 whp / 443tq @ 8psi of boost with 15 degrees of timing advance.. im very happy with the results. one issue i ran into is i seem to have a tick from the cylinder head area... i can hear it between 1200 rpm and 2500 rpms... im hoping its a lash adjuster or something simple ::fingers crossed:: other than that its a beast. :D and there is no more stalling . the idle is excellent. Thumbs up to Donnie Walsh and Walsh Motorsports over here in michigan!

76mm turbo cobra dyno - YouTube \dyno pull video.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
well guys, car was dyno'd yesterday. i made ‎457 whp / 443tq @ 8psi of boost with 15 degrees of timing advance.. im very happy with the results. one issue i ran into is i seem to have a tick from the cylinder head area... i can hear it between 1200 rpm and 2500 rpms... im hoping its a lash adjuster or something simple ::fingers crossed:: other than that its a beast. :D and there is no more stalling . the idle is excellent. Thumbs up to Donnie Walsh and Walsh Motorsports over here in michigan!

76mm turbo cobra dyno - YouTube \dyno pull video.

Did walsh have any trouble tuning the VMP housing/sensor? I'm looking into either going with this Hellion kit, converting it to blow through, or going with a On3 forward facing kit.

I know you get what you pay for but still. I will be using that exact sensor you used and will be using a 3" tube.

b00stin

Established Member
Did walsh have any trouble tuning the VMP housing/sensor? I'm looking into either going with this Hellion kit, converting it to blow through, or going with a On3 forward facing kit.

I know you get what you pay for but still. I will be using that exact sensor you used and will be using a 3" tube.

nope they didn't have one issue with it and actually praised it. they said it was the best thing i could have done with this kit. :banana:

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
nope they didn't have one issue with it and actually praised it. they said it was the best thing i could have done with this kit. :banana:

thank God. Gives me hope that they'll be able to tune my 2v with that sensor and the turbo kit with no issues.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread