'96 Cobra Clutch Replacement Question

robb15033

Established Member
I am about to schedule my clutch replacement and need to know if any more parts are needed. Mainly, do I need a new throw out bearing retainer sleeve? Adjustable pivot ball?
LINK:http://www.lethalperformance.com/lethal-performance-t-56-throwout-bearing-retainer-sleeve.html
LINK:http://www.lethalperformance.com/mcleod-99-04-mustang-adjustable-pivot-ball.html
Stock 1996 Cobra.
My Parts List Acquired:
-McLeod Street Pro clutch kit.
-FRPP throw out bearing.
-FRPP pilot bearing.
-MM clutch cable, quadrant, FW adjuster, and cable.
-Differential has Amsoil & FRPP friction modifier.
-Transmission has Mobil1 ATF.
Thank You, again.
-Robb:burnout:

laddanator

Established Member
After I've had two TOB retainer sleeves break, I no longer trust the stock one. If it were me, I'd replace it while I had the transmission out. Zak at the T45 Source sells the sleeve as well.

cbrown9064

Established Member
How many miles on your clutch fork and pivot ball? If stock, I would replace them also. Cheap in the scheme of things...

robb15033

Established Member
Have only had the car for a year, almost to the day. So, the links above list them for T56 transmission.?. Same retainer sleeve for T45? I'll check out T45 Source. I will get both parts once I verify they are for my car.
Thanks.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I am about to schedule my clutch replacement and need to know if any more parts are needed. Mainly, do I need a new throw out bearing retainer sleeve? Adjustable pivot ball?
LINK:http://www.lethalperformance.com/lethal-performance-t-56-throwout-bearing-retainer-sleeve.html
LINK:http://www.lethalperformance.com/mcleod-99-04-mustang-adjustable-pivot-ball.html
Stock 1996 Cobra.
My Parts List Acquired:
-McLeod Street Pro clutch kit.
-FRPP throw out bearing.
-FRPP pilot bearing.
-MM clutch cable, quadrant, FW adjuster, and cable.
-Differential has Amsoil & FRPP friction modifier.
-Transmission has Mobil1 ATF.
Thank You, again.
-Robb:burnout:

If you have not previously used the Mobile 1 I suggest you use the Valvoline Dex-Merc 3 ATF.

I have found using motorcraft 5 makes my trans notchy. If you used the mobile with good results then great but if this is going to be your first I would go with what is known the work. I might save you a lot of headaches in the end. Just sayin.

robb15033

Established Member
How is the Mobil1 ATF & motorcraft 5 related? The Mobil1 has been in there for quite a while & all is good. Borg Warner & TREMEC both recommend Mobil1 or Syncromesh.

robb15033

Established Member
Fluids
The official Fluid for a T-45 is Ford's Mercon-V which is a quality synthetic blend. The Mobil-1 meets the Mercon-V specification, but is also fully synthetic. It is a general consensus that certain synthetic fluids have detergents in them that can damage the linings of the non-carbon-fiber synchro rings used in the T-46 and should be avoided. Gear oil and motor oil are not recommended and will damage the early style synchro rings used in a T-45.
T45 LINK:
http://www.pro-forceperformance.com/t-45_history.htm

SVT CAMR

Established Member
How is the Mobil1 ATF & motorcraft 5 related? The Mobil1 has been in there for quite a while & all is good. Borg Warner & TREMEC both recommend Mobil1 or Syncromesh.

They are not related. I used the motor craft as an example of how different fluids react. You say you have used the mobile 1 with great results. Thats great then. I was not sure if it might have been your first time trying it. If it was and with the new clutch install there may have been to many changes at one time. Like lets say if your trans is notchy you would not be sure if it was the clutch or the new fluid you used. Thats what I meant by headaches.

Everybody has an expectation of what a trans or clutch should feel like. Only that person can tell what their own car should feel like. I brought up the fluid because it was the last biggest thing that had me spinning. My trans was rebuilt and notchy. I had many transmissions. When I went back to a T-45 I had an expectation. As a last resort I just changed the trans fluid to a different brand and spec. and amazingly all my problems were solved. Not saying one brand is better than the other but it works.

robb15033

Established Member
Ohh, OK. I got ya. Thank you. Speaking of transmission fluid, I replaced the fluid in this car 6 months ago with the Mobil1, the fluid that came out was unrecognizable. It was red-ish, did not smell like transmission fluid, & was very thin. Very unusual looking & disappointing to see. Since I did a little bit of research regarding fluids for the T45, the synthetics have powerful detergents, so I will be replacing the fluid again to see what it looks like after substituting the garbage I drained out and if it cleaned things up, ect.. I will no doubt do more research & see what Amsoil has to offer. I love Amsoil products though I have used Mobil1 inside of my T45, both cars for many years. I use Amsoil inside of differentials. My 4.6 4V LOVES Mobil1 engine oil. It runs perfectly with that oil inside. Did not respond so well to Amsoil or Motul oil.??.??

SVT CAMR

Established Member
The new retainer sleeve is an upgrade. I got it with my t-45 source trans. I would get it because our stuff is old now. As far as the adjustable pivot ball goes. I say no just buy a new stock length one. As previously mentioned why not get a new clutch fork seeing that will be the only thing you did not replace. I think summit had a good price on them when I bought mine. (Ford racing)

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Also I did not see pressure plate bolts on there.

What size disk you going with ? 11 or 10.5?

Are you getting a new flywheel?

Users who are viewing this thread