96-98 FMIC Build Thread

DaveWertz

Established Member
Are there any good build threads on here for what the title says. Looking for small details like what to do with power steering cooler, IAC lines, if any holes need cut in the inner fender well ect.... I am using a cx racing IC and piping.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
My kit was installed 15 years ago, so I don't remember what was needed specifically.

You'll know once you start getting everything in place.

You can search online for ProChargers' instruction manual. You can also look for Hellion manuals. I would think that any front mount intercooler requires the same basic modifications to factory lines/hoses. IC plumbing may vary.

Even with instructions, there will likely be surprises and hurdles. Accept it, prepare for it, and know that in the end, it's worth it.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Just so we are clear, Your build is absolutely insane!!! Quick question with your IAC line and passenger side valve cover breather. I was plan of running a breather on my passenger side just for ease of not tapping 2 holes in my new intake pipe. So is that an option or does the passenger side also need to be tied in the system? And what do you recommend using so I can run my IAC line? 3/8 barb fitting? I was going to keep my power pipe for this reason, because both lines currently run to that but after reading the IAC needs to be placed of metered air? And running a breather on the passenger side I got scolded not to do that?

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Just so we are clear, Your build is absolutely insane!!! Quick question with your IAC line and passenger side valve cover breather. I was plan of running a breather on my passenger side just for ease of not tapping 2 holes in my new intake pipe. So is that an option or does the passenger side also need to be tied in the system? And what do you recommend using so I can run my IAC line? 3/8 barb fitting? I was going to keep my power pipe for this reason, because both lines currently run to that but after reading the IAC needs to be placed of metered air? And running a breather on the passenger side I got scolded not to do that?

Do you mean PCV valve and not Idle Air Control valve?

I don't use a PCV valve on my car. I just have K&N breathers in each valve cover.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Sometimes I forget about the stock stuff. I have a Sullivan intake manifold and the IAC is handled internally, with the TB.

The IAC valve hose should go into the intake plumbing before the blower. You don't need
to run the PCV, but if you do, you should use a
catch can.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Sometimes I forget about the stock stuff. I have a Sullivan intake manifold and the IAC is handled internally, with the TB.

The IAC valve hose should go into the intake plumbing before the blower. You don't need
to run the PCV, but if you do, you should use a
catch can.
I was thinking of just putting K&N breathers on each side and capping off the port that goes into the intake and be done with it. And as far as the IAC goes, I am hoping a simple 3/8 barb fitting right before the throttle body will work.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I was thinking of just putting K&N breathers on each side and capping off the port that goes into the intake and be done with it. And as far as the IAC goes, I am hoping a simple 3/8 barb fitting right before the throttle body will work.

If you do that, be sure to put a metal bodied one-way check valve in between the intake pipe and IAC. You don't want pressurized air going down that line. Use good clamps. Otherwise you could run into problems with blowing the hose off.

DaveWertz

Established Member
If you do that, be sure to put a metal bodied one-way check valve in between the intake pipe and IAC. You don't want pressurized air going down that line. Use good clamps. Otherwise you could run into problems with blowing the hose off.
any suggestions on a valve?

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I mixed up my thoughts. The check valve is only necessary with the PCV system in place.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member

I don't remember the specifics of all my stuff.. I'd have to go back through the thread. I don't mess with the car much anymore..
I believe I have breathers on both valve covers, no PCV, and I welded a nipple on the charge pipe in front of the TB and tied the IAC in there. Used some galvanized pipe from the hardware store for the hard part of the line.

Users who are viewing this thread