96-98 cooling talk

1bdsnk96

Established Member
We my fellow svtp'ers I have a couple of questions first when talking about cooling issues, what is a TSB??? Also I got my car from the shop today for various upgrades but the coolant temp got me a little nervous without a thermostat the temp were getting up in between 195-210 and with a thermostat they were reaching up to 230, are there any coolant mods I can do to get my car running cooler and also should I be worried about running my car without a thermostat (stupid question right), any help will be greatly appreciated thank

stangbanger856

Established Member
We my fellow svtp'ers I have a couple of questions first when talking about cooling issues, what is a TSB??? Also I got my car from the shop today for various upgrades but the coolant temp got me a little nervous without a thermostat the temp were getting up in between 195-210 and with a thermostat they were reaching up to 230, are there any coolant mods I can do to get my car running cooler and also should I be worried about running my car without a thermostat (stupid question right), any help will be greatly appreciated thank

You have a 96 wich had cooling issues. That why it had the TSB "technical service bulletin" just google "96 cobra cooling fix"

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The 96 AC condensor had too many fins per inch and restricted air flow.

As said, 180 stat but you should lower cooling fan on/off temps for it to help the most.

When moving it will be fine but stock fan settings are too high for a 180 stat sitting still.

SNK_RATH

Established Member
What do you guys think of a 170* stat ? I was reading somewhere about it being the best for a N/A 4V ??? :shrug:

mrcardenas

97 Pacific Green Conv
Established Member
How do you adjust the temp on/off? I heard if you go to low with the therm temp it doesn't let the enginge build up the proper heat? Fact or Fiction?

Helomech74

Established Member
To fix the cooling issue correctly you need to change the A/C condenser to the upgraded version (assuming the TSB was never done on your car.) The newer version has less fins per inch as already stated which will allow greater air flow to the radiator to help with cooling. Then you can look into a new radiator lower temp Tstat. Stick with the 180 degree version.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
How do you adjust the temp on/off? I heard if you go to low with the therm temp it doesn't let the enginge build up the proper heat? Fact or Fiction?

Fan speed is adjusted with a tune.

And technically the hotter gives more complete fuel burn but isn't the best on parts or for performance.
That is why fuel injected cars built after 1986 or so all run in the 220° range. Gives more complete fuel burn and better meets gov. regulations.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
FWIW, SNAKEYE is a supercharged 1997 Cobra running a Steeda 2-core aluminum radiator, an Evans high capacity water pump, a 160*F t-stat, and a custom ECT setup to kick the fan on at 180*F, with 30+K miles of trouble-free operation.
DIY and results article available via e-mail for those interested.

00_silvergt

Established Member
im thinking about doing an a/c delete. can i pull the a/c condenser out will i be fine? i dont have any overheating issues

bergz22

Established Member
I put the updated a/c condenser on my 96. I could easily tell the difference between the two when comparing. The old 96 had fins packed real tight together, the updated one had wider spacing between the fins. I have a stock thermostat and stock fan settings. I screwed up tho and bought a non 96 aftermarket radiator. Doesn't fit so well.

corysmach1

Established Member
When i build my motor i will just get a 97-98 condenser aluminum radiator cuz mine is leaking now and a 170 t-stat....should solve all issues.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
When i build my motor i will just get a 97-98 condenser aluminum radiator cuz mine is leaking now and a 170 t-stat....should solve all issues.

If you get a radiator made for 97-04 you will have to modify the driver side upper mounting point. 96 cars are different from 97-04 and also I think the lower mounting points are welded in different locations on the 96 cars from 97-04. I believe the 96 still used the same mounting points as 94-95 cars.

Just fyi so you don't get caught by surprise when dropping in a newer year radiator.

corysmach1

Established Member
If you get a radiator made for 97-04 you will have to modify the driver side upper mounting point. 96 cars are different from 97-04 and also I think the lower mounting points are welded in different locations on the 96 cars from 97-04. I believe the 96 still used the same mounting points as 94-95 cars.

Just fyi so you don't get caught by surprise when dropping in a newer year radiator.

Oh ok...good info!! Thanks man!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread