96-98 Cobras and Spun bearings?

DaveWertz

Established Member
What is it with these cars that you see them at low mileage spinning bearings out of the bottom ends? It blows my mind all the cobras in this era I see with low mile motors but all with spun bearings. Mine spun one at 66k, hence why its forged now but I still can't wrap my head around it. Is it a oiling issue?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
My OEM engine spun a bearing at 140k.
Then the new engine spun 2 bearings at 500 miles. Pretty sure the builder used the oil cooler from the original engine.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Way back when I first got into 4V's there was a rash of spun bearings. Pretty much all were from being spun to 7K with the factory recommended 6 quarts of oil. It was discovered that the heads held a lot of oil. Between the timing chains pulling oil and the slow drain back of the normal oil it all stacked up. The fix was to run at least 7 quarts. Supposedly the later C heads had the drain back fixed, but I still run 7 quarts just in case. There's plenty of room in the pan so it doesn't hurt anything.

It might be the same issue with the earlier 4V's.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Way back when I first got into 4V's there was a rash of spun bearings. Pretty much all were from being spun to 7K with the factory recommended 6 quarts of oil. It was discovered that the heads held a lot of oil. Between the timing chains pulling oil and the slow drain back of the normal oil it all stacked up. The fix was to run at least 7 quarts. Supposedly the later C heads had the drain back fixed, but I still run 7 quarts just in case. There's plenty of room in the pan so it doesn't hurt anything.

THats what I thought. I now run 7 quarts. Still fine tuning how to check it to make sure all 7 are on the dip stick. It just amazed me how many of these motors I see with spun bearings.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Pretty much this. Makes for some good deals for guys looking for a winter project though.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
So by reading this I should be running 7 qts in the cobra?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I would. It doesn't hurt anything and gives a little extra insurance for the engine. The way these blocks are set up the oil still won't be close to the crank.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW, the stock pan takes 9 quarts to reach the pan rail. Not that I'd ever run that much in my engine. Just something someone figured out a long time ago.

boost88

Established Member
What weight oil.are you guys using? I don't have a manual with mine and lots of different suggestions on the internet

boost88

Established Member
Does the 40 weight happen to help with the lash adjusters keeping them a bit quieter

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
7 qt Canton pan and added plumbing for the twin turbo's and scavenge pump.

Users who are viewing this thread