96-98 Cobra Procharger Belt Alignment?

01silverstang

Established Member
A couple weeks ago I picked up a 96’ Cobra with a P-1SC.
5-A7512-DA-6-E8-C-4-FC4-8820-AB3-F296-C2200.jpg

4-A9-FAABC-B370-4492-9-EBC-13-CD0558-B110.jpg

The seller advised that it was missing the serpentine belt which had shredded, and that the transmission wouldn’t shift while running which he was told was due to bad synchros. Some feedback from the local Mustang club leads me to believe the transmission either needs the adjustable clutch cable adjusted or that the throw-out bearing may be seized to the input shaft. I put the car in first and then depressed the clutch and had my father-in-law try to roll it forward and it wouldn’t move an inch. So now that I’ve made progress on that it’s time to figure out the belt issue. The first thing I noticed was this...
9-DAA095-B-013-A-44-AF-AB1-E-C9-F949937401.jpg

I was advised to grab a laser tool from Harbor Freight to check alignment and that I may need to shim the alternator pulley with washers. If the alternator pulley is aligned with all the other accessories it seems like everything else would also need to be shimmed as well which is making my head spin.

Anybody had this issue or have any suggestions? I’m guessing this is what caused the previous belt to shred...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I used a steel straight edge and a laser level to check my pulley alignment. Does the alternator spin freely? That pulley looks really close to the case.

Spacing the blower itself is easier than moving the alternator. Use the crank pulleynas your starting point. But I'm going to guess you're going to have to move the blower closer to the engine.

01silverstang

Established Member
I used a steel straight edge and a laser level to check my pulley alignment. Does the alternator spin freely? That pulley looks really close to the case.

Spacing the blower itself is easier than moving the alternator. Use the crank pulleynas your starting point. But I'm going to guess you're going to have to move the blower closer to the engine.

I’m going to use the laser and straight edge to check. If all the other pulleys are in alignment, then I will reinstall the blower per the instructions from Procharger and hope that it just wasn’t installed correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread