96-98 Cobra 1/4 Mile Question

bandit_48032

Established Member
I have been searching around and reading a lot of different magazine articles and looking at different video's etc. But I want to hear some feed back from owners themselves!

I am curious to know what the actual "stock" 1/4 mile times are for 96-98 Cobra's. I have seen so many different publications saying 14.00, 14.20 and I even saw a video where a 97 went 13.70. I have heard some people say that the 96-98 Cobra's are high 14 second cars. What is the best time any of you have seen with a stock 96-98 Cobra and what are the average times?

I also heard that the 99's did the 1/4 mile the same as the 96-98's. Any thruth to this?

I have a 00 Firebird Formula Trans Am right now and I am just in love with Mustangs. I used to hate them because I saw so many of them around but after the 03/04 Cobra's came out I had to bow down! I am now a devoted Mustang lover and all I wanna do is sell this Formula and jump in a Cobra! :banana:

I love the 03/04 Cobra's because of the sheer power they put down but I love the looks of the older Cobra's! I wish I could afford one of each! haha

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Hell yeah get a Cobra, im so happy with mine. Ive read that some people run a 14 flat stock, and other run a 13.5 stock I think it just depends on the driver. It does seem like I hear of alot more people running 13's in 96-98 Cobras than 14's

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
High 13's stock(13.7-13.9) Ford's official number was 13.99. With gears and drag radials/slicks...high 12's are possible for a good driver

bandit_48032

Established Member
My buddy has a 94 TA that's slightly modded and he runs a 14 flat right now. A stock 96 Cobra should be able to lay the smack down on that then?

I don't want to jump from a faster car to a slower car and I hear that the 96-98's performed a little better than the LT1's, I wanna make sure the Cobra performs a little better than my LS1. All I have done is the SLP Loudmouth Cat Back and Ram Air.

Those are probably the same mods I'll get done right away with the Cobra just because they are less expensive and I don't know a whole lot about modding vehicles. Other than that I'll have to search and learn from everyone else exactly what things to get done to the car. I would love to put a supercharger on the Cobra but I'm so scared of running a supercharger on a vehicle in which it didn't already come stock. I'm just affraid of hurting or blowing up the engine. But then again I could be wrong because I'm stupid and no absolutely nothing about mods! haha

Thanks for the replies so far!

bandit_48032

Established Member
It's an automatic unfortunately! I only have a little experiance driving a manual. I drove my friends Neon once or twice and I did ok with it. I know a rear wheel drive sports car is a whole different ball game so I hope I'll be able to pick it up alright!

What about the 99 Cobra's running the same time in the 1/4 Mile as the 96-98's? Was that just a bunch of crap I read in an article or is that pretty much the truth. haha

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Yellow98SVT said:
High 13's stock(13.7-13.9) Ford's official number was 13.99. With gears and drag radials/slicks...high 12's are possible for a good driver
Last year was my first time to run the 1/4 at a track. The last run of the year I finally broke the 14 second barrier with a 13.99 at 103.84 and a 2.34 60' time. Come to find out the reason I couldn't get traction was due to my driver's side tire not turning at all. Seems that my limited slip traction lock differential is worn out, thus why I have a T2-Torsen on the way! :banana: I am expecting a 2.0 60' this year with the new differential and a 13.5 at 105mph on my Eagle F1 GS-D3's.

bandit_48032

Established Member
Hersheyman said:
Last year was my first time to run the 1/4 at a track. The last run of the year I finally broke the 14 second barrier with a 13.99 at 103.84 and a 2.34 60' time. Come to find out the reason I couldn't get traction was due to my driver's side tire not turning at all. Seems that my limited slip traction lock differential is worn out, thus why I have a T2-Torsen on the way! :banana: I am expecting a 2.0 60' this year with the new differential and a 13.5 at 105mph on my Eagle F1 GS-D3's.

Did you have those mods when you went to the track or was your car stock?

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
13.5@105 on 245 street tires with 1.9 60-ft. I just had a drop-in K&N filter (shroud intact) and a B&M shifter. Those two things didn't do anything to affect my times. The main thing was the driver-mod though. lol. BTW, this was on a stiff Koni/Eibach suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread