96-01 cobra guys is this a first ??

mr99svtcobra

Established Member
single turbo 99 cobra I’m in the middle of a 3rd gear pull and I hear a huge pop out of the intake car dies right away. I try to start it again and it starts back firing out of the intake immediately I think “timing chain” long story short for some reason I decide to yank the whole intake manifold out of the car to discover this

294l1f4.jpg

My tuner advice is to have aluminum cut out and welded in place of those freeze plugs

Last edited:

mr99svtcobra

Established Member
Well that’s interesting.

Pick your poison.
Exactly I’ve owned this car for 8 years I been on cobra forums for just as long and I never seen this happen to anyone I drove the plug back in put the car back together and it runs fine

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
How much boost are you running? I've never seen that. It might be worth staking them just to be safe.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I'm certainly not a welder/fabricator (and probably for good reasons), but couldn't you just weld a bead around those plugs if you're already planning on taking that sort of measure? Good luck with the fix. That's pretty crazy.

mr99svtcobra

Established Member
I'm certainly not a welder/fabricator (and probably for good reasons), but couldn't you just weld a bead around those plugs if you're already planning on taking that sort of measure? Good luck with the fix. That's pretty crazy.

The manifold is aluminum and the plugs are steel lol such a weird design

BTCCA4

single turbo 99 cobra I’m in the middle of a 3rd gear pull and I hear a huge pop out of the intake car dies right away. I try to start it again and it starts back firing out of the intake immediately I think “timing chain” long story short for some reason I decide to yank the whole intake manifold out of the car to discover this

View attachment 1574516

My tuner advice is to have aluminum cut out and welded in place of those freeze plugs
Had an old BMW 320i, every once in a while it would backfire & blow the intake boot off!

Users who are viewing this thread