95R Brake Pads for the Track

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
I’ve been rummaging through a few bins of old racing brake parts given to me by a Grand Am team I crewed for a few years ago. Among dozens and dozens of used (who knows what) brake pads I came across one new box of Hawk Gold HT-9 .610 pads and several boxes of Raybestos Racing Pads p/n 33D412A .720 pads. The new Golds should get me through a couple/few events but after that I’ll probably have to give the Raybestos pads a shot. There are a couple issues with them though. First off they are about .11 inch too thick. The race teams milled down the pistons on the calipers allowing them to run thicker .720 pads. The other issue is I have not been able to find any info on the pads compound. So, to the requests for comment…

1st question, how would you guys suggest shaving .11 inch off the .720 pads. My initial idea is to make a simple jig out of a 2x6 and cut .11 inch off the pads using a metal blade on a chop saw. Of course I would use protection, (haha) ie. dust mask.

2nd question, any idea what I should expect for compound characteristics? The p/n for the pads is 33D412A. Google search reveals nothing but I’m guessing the number breaks down to something like:

33 - Compound
D412 - FMSI Reference Number
A - .720???

A search for Raybestos Racing Pad Compounds revealed the chart shown below but 33 was not listed.

------------------------------------------------
Raybestos ST38
"B" slightly lower mu than ST-42. Wear still not as good as ST41. Good performance over broad temperature range with minimal rotor wear.Successful in a broad range of racing series. Use in dirt where you want less bite than ST-41/ST-43.
-------------
Raybestos ST41
"A" the best high energy input racing material available. Extremely successful in all the top three NASCAR series Raced by the 2002 NASCAR Champion Tony Stewart. Maintains high mu level at extremely high temperatures without sacrificing good wear - both pad and rotor. Needs some heat to work well.
-------------
Raybestos ST42
"J" lower mu than ST-41 and ST-43. Extremely stable average and in stop output over a wide temperature range. Has been very successful when used on the rear brakes in conjunction with the ST41 on the front. Best high-temperature wear of all their materials.
-------------
Raybestos ST43
Friction level and wear rate between ST-41 and ST-42. Stability is not quite as good as 42 but better than 41. Excellent open wheel formula.
-------------
Raybestos ST44
High friction material, slightly less aggressive than ST-41
-------------
Raybestos ST45
Lower friction level than the ST-47. Could be used as a great rear to compliment the ST-47 compound.
-------------
Raybestos ST47
Has the highest friction and torque available to date. It has been engineered for long-lasting extreme heat situations and maximum rotor life. If you are looking for the most advanced-performing road race brake pad, that will simply out perform all the rest, this is it.
------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't know.

I used the Performance Friction pads back 10+ years ago. :read: They offered reasonable pad performance without wearing-out (destroying) my rotors. I am using a different brand now but have to tech.

JMHO, I believe pad performance can be over-rated. One pad may increase your lap time by 0.50 second, but another pad may last two weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread