95 R with AFR 185 heads

Cobra-R

Established Member
Just for reference I thought I would post some results from putting AFR heads on my 95R.

My engine had never been opened up.....at all. Twards the end of last year, I got a external coolant leak from the drivers side head. We pulled the heads and everything looked perfect (8500 miles on car). I decided to put on a set of AFR 185 heads with a trickflow intake(didn't touch the bottom end). We dyno'd the car today so I could bring the car with this weekend to the RA race, the engine picked up 32 rwhp, the peak torque stayed the same (within a couple ft/lbs) Torque below 4000 rpm actually dropped, at 4000 it follows the old curve closely.

I have no idea how this would compare with other combinations out there, but for future, this setup did this on my car. I was told I really should have changed the cam and stuff, but I didn't want to go that deep into it when everything was in such good shape.

Brian

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Brian:

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you change the cam?

I would think you could have possibly doubled your results? Or would that put you over the power threshold?

93SVTCobra

Established Member
So what was the final hp and tq and at what RPM's? Personally I think you did the right thing by not changing the cams. You already have one tempermental car. Why do you need two?

Cobra-R

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Brian:

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you change the cam?

I would think you could have possibly doubled your results? Or would that put you over the power threshold?

I didn't want to go that deep into the engine, Bruce. The 95 has been so drop dead reliable that I hate to mess with that. It needs about 500 lbs removed rather then 30 more hp, I know you can relate with that feeling.

Brian

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Mark,

Last year the car was 289 rwhp, today it 322. Torque stayed in the 350 range. I lost torque below 4000 rpm and it stayed the same above 4000.

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Cobra-R said:
I didn't want to go that deep into the engine, Bruce. The 95 has been so drop deal reliable that I hate to mess with that. It needs about 500 lbs removed rather then 30 more hp, I know you can relate with that feeling.

Brian

Brian:

I can relate. :cryying:

Here's and idea for you. Pull the stock motor, stick it on an engine stand in your shop for posterity. Then build up an aluminum block stroker motor and you can have your cake and eat it too!?!?! :poke:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Brian:

I can relate. :cryying:

Here's and idea for you. Pull the stock motor, stick it on an engine stand in your shop for posterity. Then build up an aluminum block stroker motor and you can have your cake and eat it too!?!?! :poke:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Or I could walk over to my orange car, tear the tape off the intake and have a very simular car. Know what I mean?

Brian

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
ac427cobra said:
Here's and idea for you. Pull the stock motor, stick it on an engine stand in your shop for posterity. Then build up an aluminum block stroker motor and you can have your cake and eat it too!?!?!

Brian,
Don't listen to this dude until he writes you a sponsorship check for a full NASA season! Hmm, aluminum stroker, brake upgrade, new suspension set-up, 6 sets of race tires, gas, towing, travel, hotels, extra brake pads, parts.....Ah, I think $100K should cover it?

Bruce,
:pepper:

In my next life I am going to maybe rent a race car? Or maybe just do drag racing? Take up golf? I can't think of anything more expensive than riding a race car around in circles.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
93SVTCobra said:
Do you really think anyone in tech would notice?

Paint it rust colored. Or better yet, get the outside metal sprayed and put a little salt water on it for a few days?!?! :lol:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
Do you really think anyone in tech would notice?

Mark,
That's a good question. It would be my luck that they would notice eventually. I saw that block about a year ago and had plans for a nice all aluminum 306 until I saw the Motorsport blocks werent legal in American Iron. I've seen AIX cars, I dont have enough money to be anything but a back marker!!!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
1993R said:
Has made a very nice living spending other peoples money :)
Larry,
Ha! I agree that I'd rather spend other people's money (OPM) rather than my own, but Bruce is the one that is trying to spend Brian's money in this thread. :-D

Have you ordered those new racing tires yet? Why not get some engine work and new tires this winter for your car? You could make an all out assault for next year's NASA T/T championship! :read:

:idea: I think Bruce should get a cage in his new GT500! I think a few weight saving techniques, a few suspension mods, a diff cooler, a new pulley, a narrowed rear axle (for bigger tires), and deletion of unnecessary interior pieces would really wake up that car. It would fit perfectly in AIX (while the 00R would dominate AI). Oh, a new two car trailer should certainly be on the winter list of "things to do"!

I'm just here to help.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Paint it rust colored. Or better yet, get the outside metal sprayed and put a little salt water on it for a few days?!?! :lol:

Who can afford one anyway, arn't they in the $4K range?

1993R

Established Member
Doc,
The only thing I'm doing now is trying to get my trucking company off the ground as well as starting a new job as a maufacturers rep for two furniture companies. Hopefully by spring the R will start recieving a face lift of new parts.......

XLR8-R

Established Member
This is a timely post as I just completed putting AFR 185s on my 95. I did change the cam though, to a mild hydraulic roller and hope to have dyno results in a week or two. Beware flycutting is necessary or was in my case. I used a trickflow stage one cam with the stock 1.7 rockers. It is 221/225
@ .050 with .530/ .542 lift with the 1.7 rockers. It is a lot of work and took me a while in my spare time...I also had my stock headers jet-hot coated and am running a box upper as the stock upper is designed for a 302, and would limit any high rpm power.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
The loss of torque below 4000 RPM's is due to the Trickflow Intake. The Cobra / GT-40 intake makes a lot better low end torque, but lower peak HP. :)

Users who are viewing this thread