95 R igntion/injection ECU problem

mancharley

Established Member
If you owned a 95 Cobra R, which I do, and you had a problem with its ignition/injection ECu, which I do, is there any place that you would send that ECU for repair? Here's hoping......
Ben

mancharley

Established Member
Thanks so much, 1993R. You've started my day on an up note. I will certainly contact them. Best regards in this Holiday Season.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Ben,

I don't have experience with getting an ECU rebuilt (yet) but there are companies out there that do it for the fox and sn95 computers. In your case, make sure you get the SAME ECU back since it is coded as a 95R.

Tom

mancharley

Established Member
Thanks, Tom. I took a picture of the label on my ECU which has the precise part number for the R ECU listed in the "Unique parts on the Cobra R" and so I think I'll be able to tell if I get mine back.
Following the lead of 1993R above, I contacted ECU Exchange in Acworth, GA. I was very impressed. They know that the R ECU has "unique calibration" (in the words of SVT), and they repair computers as opposed to exchange only. They test to confirm there's a problem; they repair if possible; and if repair isn't possible, they offer the option of taking the PROM from my computer and installing it in a GT one which effectively turns that GT one into an R one. And their office staff was perky and bright. My fingers are crossed.
Best to you in the balmy part of Texas from up here in frigid Austin.
Ben

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Ben,

Good news to hear. Post an update once you get it back. It is something that just happens with these older computers. Merry Christmas to you as well.

Tom

1993R

Established Member
I pesonally believed if I was going to stay in the R game I would install a stand alone like a Link ,Haltech,Holley stand alone ECU. These 30 year old units are going to continue to go bad and get harder to repair.
Plus the lack of tunability etc..

1993R

Established Member
The problem with my ECU was undetectable by visual inspection so that made diagnosing the issue very dificult because on the Fox ECU the car but be running to give you a code. Bascially a light flickering....morse code lol

Users who are viewing this thread