95 COBRA R with aftermarket cam and heads

theboss281

Established Member
I am looking for help from some owners of a 95 "R" that have changed the heads and camshaft of their "R" , I would like to know their experience and the final numbers whp and wtq.

Thanks in advance

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Easy to make 400hp with heads and cam to the wheels. What really matters is how you plan to use the car. Also will need new intake manifold.

Last edited:

Established Member
Stroke that baby. I don't think you are going to get 400 to the ground with only a heads and cam swap, and still keep low end torque of any measure.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
The restriction becomes the intake itself. There are many heads and cams available. You need to upgrade the intake to get big numbers but then you lose a prominent R identification piece.

Tom

theboss281

Established Member
That's what I wouldn't like to do, did you change your intake ? . My interest is to wake up the engine a bit, nothing radical, main use of street and some road race.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
My intake is extrude honed to get the most out of the OEM piece. Steeda used to make a very good and computer friendly cam for Rs. I can't remember the part number. Mine has a Ford Racing Z cam with a special tune. This is the way the car was set up by the race team when I purchased it. Honestly, I believe it is more cam than the motor/heads and intake can handle.

Tom

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Get some AFR heads, EH that intake if you don't want to switch intakes, Long tubes and a Kurgan cam. Thats what I did when I made somewhere around 340rwhp. You're not going to get 400rwhp without a stroke or changing that intake and some serious head work. I made over 500rwhp with the addition of a Vortech and custom Kurgan tune back around 2005.

theboss281

Established Member
My intake is extrude honed to get the most out of the OEM piece. Steeda used to make a very good and computer friendly cam for Rs. I can't remember the part number. Mine has a Ford Racing Z cam with a special tune. This is the way the car was set up by the race team when I purchased it. Honestly, I believe it is more cam than the motor/heads and intake can handle.

Tom

Thanks for your answer ,
What numbers do you have with the "Z" cam ? Do you have afermarket heads ? What headers do you have installed ?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thanks for your answer ,
What numbers do you have with the "Z" cam ? Do you have afermarket heads ? What headers do you have installed ?
You could have a custom cam made to match all your parts you put together. That will keep your driveability and low end tq.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Thanks for your answer ,

I don't know the specs but they are readily available in the Ford Motorport/Ford Racing catalog. I am running out of the box GT40X aluminum heads. Hooker makes a nice shorty that was originally designed for the Saleen 351s that goes right in our chassis. It doesn't have an EGR bung for #4 cylinder. They are much better than OEM at the exhaust flange and bolt to the downpipe same as OEM. I got the ceramic coated from Summit. I wasn't able to find full length headers when I freshened up the motor.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread