95 Cobra R - Fuel Leak - UK

UKCobra

Established Member
Hi,
It's been a long time since I last posted here, I still own 95R No61, and it does not get driven much.
Over the last 6 months, I have noticed a strong smell of fuel, and it has got worse, there is now also what appears to be a small spot of fuel under the car, near the entry to the fuel tank. I cannot determine where it is leaking.
I do recall many years ago other owners having some issues with the race cell. However, I have not found anything in the archives.
My Mustang mechanic is busy and cannot book the car in for another 3 weeks and the shipping guy I need to use is away until mid-Nov, so I am looking to drop the tank myself.
Anyone had any experience and want to share what they found, and if they needed any parts ?
I suspect that the fuel has not been kind to the seals, hoses etc and something has rotted away.
I will post the results once I have them.
Still love driving the R.
Best Wishes
Mark

John Smith

Established Member
Sounds like the fuel cell bladder has deteriorated. I have the same problem with my 95R, it was leaking from a small hole at the bottom right rear of the cell. I believe the Ethanol in the CA fuel is the culprit. Getting the bladder replaced in the factory cell can be pretty expensive around $2k. I plan to replace mine with a Glenn's Performance replacement tank that will never deteriorate Glenn's Performance

I have seen pictures of this tank powder coated black and it is difficult to tell the difference.

John

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
+1 on Glenn's. That is what I have already done with great success. Looks perfect.

RapidRunner

Established Member
Hi,
It's been a long time since I last posted here, I still own 95R No61, and it does not get driven much.
Over the last 6 months, I have noticed a strong smell of fuel, and it has got worse, there is now also what appears to be a small spot of fuel under the car, near the entry to the fuel tank. I cannot determine where it is leaking.
I do recall many years ago other owners having some issues with the race cell. However, I have not found anything in the archives.
My Mustang mechanic is busy and cannot book the car in for another 3 weeks and the shipping guy I need to use is away until mid-Nov, so I am looking to drop the tank myself.
Anyone had any experience and want to share what they found, and if they needed any parts ?
I suspect that the fuel has not been kind to the seals, hoses etc and something has rotted away.
I will post the results once I have them.
Still love driving the R.
Best Wishes
Mark

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
The bladder in your cell is falling apart and leaking. Been there done that a couple of times and finally went to a Glenn's tank. Anyway, if you crawl under there the aluminum can has small weep holes. This allows leaking fuel to escape which is where your puddle is coming from.

Tom

UKCobra

Established Member
Struggling to order from Glenn's site. Does not recognise a UK Postcode, and if I put any 4 digits in, it won't move forward to the payment screen. SO I need Glenn to respond to the emails I sent. Failing that I will have to call.

UKCobra

Established Member
I have tried unsuccessfully to syphon the fuel out of the tank without dropping it. The hose I have is not getting to the tank, as it is not getting wet. For those of you who have taken the tank off, is there any anti-syphon device ?

John Smith

Established Member
Yes, there is. You might have better luck energizing the fuel pump to drain the tank. Or if you lower the tank enough to get the filler tube out there will be plenty of room for a siphon hose.

John

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
You can drain the tank using the OEM fuel pump. Jack the car up and disconnect the outlet side of the fuel filter. Connect a length of 3/8 hose with a hose clamp and down into a fuel can. You can cycle the key on and off at the ignition and drain the tank. There is also a way to jump the pump so it will run constantly, with key on, using a plug under the hood on the passenger side firewall. It is a 6 pin connector and you ground one of the pins. I can look up the details if you are interested.

John Smith

Established Member
Also, keep in mind if you are cycling the key on and off that the injectors are going to be firing. It is probably not a good idea for them to be cycling without fuel or fuel pressure. I suggest either holding your foot to the floor so the PCM will not cycle them or just disconnecting them.

John

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
This for sure. Just did this with a foxbody. I believe 95 was the last year before OBDII, so the diagnostic port is near the wiper motor. Ground the right pin, pump will simply run, when the key is on.

You can drain the tank using the OEM fuel pump. Jack the car up and disconnect the outlet side of the fuel filter. Connect a length of 3/8 hose with a hose clamp and down into a fuel can. You can cycle the key on and off at the ignition and drain the tank. There is also a way to jump the pump so it will run constantly, with key on, using a plug under the hood on the passenger side firewall. It is a 6 pin connector and you ground one of the pins. I can look up the details if you are interested.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
This for sure. Just did this with a foxbody. I believe 95 was the last year before OBDII, so the diagnostic port is near the wiper motor. Ground the right pin, pump will simply run, when the key is on.

Correct, 95 was the last year. The processor changed in 96 when the 4.6 arrived.

Tom

UKCobra

Established Member
Just an update , ordered and paid for the replacement tank Oct 14. Glenn indicated it may be a few weeks to build it etc.
6 weeks later, I have asked via email and phone call about the status. Perhaps Thanksgiving is slowing the response.

JeremyBoc

Established Member
UKCobra, for what it's worth... I ordered one from Glenn a couple years ago and heard crickets for about a month when I made status inquiries. Called, no answer. Emailed, no answer. Finally, one day they answered and said they had other orders come in also and wanted to wait and do them at the same time. Maybe not the best customer service, but it turned out to be a great product! My order took place December 2017 and I received it early February 2018.

UKCobra

Established Member
UKCobra, for what it's worth... I ordered one from Glenn a couple years ago and heard crickets for about a month when I made status inquiries. Called, no answer. Emailed, no answer. Finally, one day they answered and said they had other orders come in also and wanted to wait and do them at the same time. Maybe not the best customer service, but it turned out to be a great product! My order took place December 2017 and I received it early February 2018.

Thanks Jeremy,
I suspected as much, and Glenn did say he had to squeeze in an order to the fabrication shop, which I kind of got the impression was somewhere else. Getting hold of Glenn took about 4 phone calls, so i will try again next week.
Shipping is likely to take 10 days, and then I need to powder coat and then get it into my friends Mustang workshop, which is always a 2 month wait, so it could be June before I get it fixed !
Mark

TFStang

Established Member
Glad you found your solution. I’m sure you will be happy with the end result. Now if they would just make a tank for the the 00R....

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I am also running a Glenn's tank. I don't remember how long it took but it was worth the cost and hassle of getting.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread