95 Cobra Boosting Question.

95_Slowbra

Established Member
Alright guys, I could use some insight on a question I have regarding turbocharging my 95. So awhile ago I gave in and bought a on3 turbo kit with a Turbonetics 62-1 ceramic ball bearing turbo, walboro 255lph, 62#, sct BA MAF, and everything else I needed; after getting waxed my a stock WRX. I currently have 92,988 on the clock and the engine is 100% stock. My question now is wether or not I should pull the engine and tear it apart and re gasket the whole thing, which will most likely also lead to porting the heads and upgrading springs for a anderson b-21 cam swap, or slap the kit on and address the gaskets later down the road. The only reason I ask is this is my DD now as the beater finally let got after 300XXX. Anyone ever have any major problems with 8psi or so on a stock longblock 302? How long did you drive it before it let go? Will the stock tranny hold the power fine? Any would be appreciated, aswell as tips/tricks for the turbo install. Thanks.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Give the engine a quick compression test and leakdown test.
If it passes, change the plugs, fuel filter etc. Make sure whoever is tuning it keeps it safe, otherwise its new engine time.

hitnrun

Established Member
I would proactively do the supporting mods. You know what that is going to cost you and know what all needs to be done. If you slap the turbo kit on it, you have no idea what you can break (and are more likely to with a stock 100k engine) and how much breaking those parts will cost.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I would purchase another reliable DD before I put any more money into the cobra. Anything can break at any time and its nice to be able to take your time fixing it.

If you would take it all apart to just regasket it, you are wasting your time. Regasket it when you put in a forged bottom end.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Buy a DD, but don't bother doing anything to the motor unless you break something.. I've been running 12# of boost on a stock, valve covers never been off longblock for 8 years

Users who are viewing this thread