95 Air Bag Light Help

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I just bought a 95R a month ago. It has an air bag light on in the dash. I do know from history the car hit a deer on the right front and it actually went through the windshield. The passenger headlight and hood were replaced. The bumper and passenger front fender were painted. I'm guessing it has to do with that incident. Both air bags are present in the car.

Where do I start?

Tom

shurur

Established Member
You need to get a reader and get some codes, otherwise you are just going to be blasting parts. Innova sells an obd1 ford reader that has good ratings....imo you do not want to waste time reading blinking leds, especially should you have several codes..

Also pick up a real ford wiring diagram manual for your year car...besides the standard haynes/chilton manual.

Both are an investment.

Just guessing, but it is probably a crash sensor that needs replacing or a broken wire to the crash sensor. They look to be located in each front fenderwell.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
You need to get a reader and get some codes, otherwise you are just going to be blasting parts. Innova sells an obd1 ford reader that has good ratings....imo you do not want to waste time reading blinking leds, especially should you have several codes..

Also pick up a real ford wiring diagram manual for your year car...besides the standard haynes/chilton manual.

Both are an investment.

Just guessing, but it is probably a crash sensor that needs replacing or a broken wire to the crash sensor. They look to be located in each front fenderwell.

I've got a reader, I need to dig it out of my cabinet. I also have the Helm wiring manual.

I am also thinking some sensor or wiring in that area, but have no idea what that sensor looks like or the wire colors.

Time to start digging and I will report back.

If anyone has anything else to add, please do.

Tom

shurur

Established Member
I've got a reader, I need to dig it out of my cabinet. I also have the Helm wiring manual.

I am also thinking some sensor or wiring in that area, but have no idea what that sensor looks like or the wire colors.

Time to start digging and I will report back.

If anyone has anything else to add, please do.

Tom
It looks like a 1.5" square box with a mount bracket and may be in the bumper or fender area. There might be four, which is common, two for front and one for each front side. I think those sensors are a one shot deally...so they can look ok, but need replacing. IMO you should buy new as the part is not that expensive.

That link that I posted for you is not just a listing of codes. It has schematics, diagrams and a troubleshooting guide. It is the Ford manual for the airbag system. I just stumbled on it.

Good luck.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Update: there are two crash sensors and they are located in the front side of the radiator support at the top, left and right side respectively. They are visible through the grill opening. They look fine visually. Now I need to start testing.

Tom

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely one of the two scenarios Tom. Any Fault Codes?

Air Bag : Always On
  • Circuitry malfunction.
  • Sensor malfunction.

CONTINUOUS AIR BAG INDICATOR​

Normal Operation
The air bag indicator is designed to light for six (± two) seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN. This initial six seconds of air bag indicator illumination is considered normal operation and is called "proveout" of the air bag indicator. If the air bag diagnostic monitor has detected any faults in the air bag system, it will flash the air bag indicator a series of times to indicate the highest priority code stored in memory.

The diagnostic trouble codes are two digits.

• The first digit is displayed by a series of flashes at a rate of one per second. A two second pause follows the first digit.
  • The second digit is then displayed by a series of flashes at a rate of one per second. A five second pause follows the second digit.
  • The code then repeats, starting with the first digit.
After the code has flashed completely five times, the air bag indicator will light continuously until the ignition switch is cycled. If the air bag indicator comes on when the ignition switch is turned to RUN and immediately stays on for more than eight seconds continuously, then a fault exists in the air bag indicator circuit.

The air bag diagnostic monitor incorporates a solid state circuit which shorts the air bag indicator line (Circuit 608, BK/Y) to ground to turn on the air bag indicator. When the black air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector is unplugged from the air bag diagnostic monitor , a shorting bar within the harness connector shorts Pin 11 (air bag indicator) and Pin 10 (ground) together, causing a continuous lamp. This shorting bar may be removed for servicing purposes by removing the black spacer (locking wedge) in the black air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector.

The air bag diagnostic monitor requires power at Pin 6 to energize the air bag indicator circuit properly. Loss of ignition voltage at Pin 6 due to open circuit or short to ground will result in a continuous air bag indicator due to the ignition voltage applied to Pin 19. An open or short to ground in the lamp circuit at Pin 11 will result in no air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

Continuous air bag indicator illumination can be caused by:

• A diagnostic trouble code has flashed five times after the ignition switch was turned to RUN (after prove-out) and has timed out. Recycling the ignition switch will redisplay the DTCs.
  • A disconnected or poorly connected air bag diagnostic monitor may not push the shorting bar between Pins 10 and 11 into its fully retracted position. This shorts the air bag indicator line to ground and causes the air bag indicator to glow continuously.
  • A damaged air bag diagnostic monitor.
  • Shorted air bag indicator wiring.
  • Loss of ignition voltage at Pin 6 of the air bag diagnostic monitor.

Lightning fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC ( Professional, Quality and Honest business are my top priorty)

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Good stuff from Vinne_B.
I recently had my wife's airbag light go on and wasn't about to go watching any blinking leds, so I bought a reader for that and the transmission controller.

I can post it up later.....autolink AL629
Works for nissan, ford and other mfgs...has different suites for each.
Double check my info though..

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Definitely one of the two scenarios Tom. Any Fault Codes?

Air Bag : Always On
  • Circuitry malfunction.
  • Sensor malfunction.

CONTINUOUS AIR BAG INDICATOR​

Normal Operation
The air bag indicator is designed to light for six (± two) seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN. This initial six seconds of air bag indicator illumination is considered normal operation and is called "proveout" of the air bag indicator. If the air bag diagnostic monitor has detected any faults in the air bag system, it will flash the air bag indicator a series of times to indicate the highest priority code stored in memory.

The diagnostic trouble codes are two digits.

• The first digit is displayed by a series of flashes at a rate of one per second. A two second pause follows the first digit.
  • The second digit is then displayed by a series of flashes at a rate of one per second. A five second pause follows the second digit.
  • The code then repeats, starting with the first digit.
After the code has flashed completely five times, the air bag indicator will light continuously until the ignition switch is cycled. If the air bag indicator comes on when the ignition switch is turned to RUN and immediately stays on for more than eight seconds continuously, then a fault exists in the air bag indicator circuit.

The air bag diagnostic monitor incorporates a solid state circuit which shorts the air bag indicator line (Circuit 608, BK/Y) to ground to turn on the air bag indicator. When the black air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector is unplugged from the air bag diagnostic monitor , a shorting bar within the harness connector shorts Pin 11 (air bag indicator) and Pin 10 (ground) together, causing a continuous lamp. This shorting bar may be removed for servicing purposes by removing the black spacer (locking wedge) in the black air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector.

The air bag diagnostic monitor requires power at Pin 6 to energize the air bag indicator circuit properly. Loss of ignition voltage at Pin 6 due to open circuit or short to ground will result in a continuous air bag indicator due to the ignition voltage applied to Pin 19. An open or short to ground in the lamp circuit at Pin 11 will result in no air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

Continuous air bag indicator illumination can be caused by:

• A diagnostic trouble code has flashed five times after the ignition switch was turned to RUN (after prove-out) and has timed out. Recycling the ignition switch will redisplay the DTCs.
  • A disconnected or poorly connected air bag diagnostic monitor may not push the shorting bar between Pins 10 and 11 into its fully retracted position. This shorts the air bag indicator line to ground and causes the air bag indicator to glow continuously.
  • A damaged air bag diagnostic monitor.
  • Shorted air bag indicator wiring.
Lightning fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair and Consulting LLC ( Professional, Quality and Honest business are my top priorty)
The code I am getting is 12 upon startup.

Tom

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR TROUBLE CODE PRIORITY TABLE

Priority​
Code​
Component/Fault Description​
Highest​
12​
Lost Battery Feed​

Procedure to Retrieve Stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes from Diagnostic Monitor Non-Volatile Random Access Memory

Some Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) for intermittent problems (61-85) may not automatically flash on the air bag indicator and may require retrieval. If an air bag DTC has been reported on a vehicle but is not currently flashing, this may be due to two reasons:

• A charging system concern has been identified by the diagnostic monitor and a DTC 12 indicated. DTC 12 will not be stored in the air bag diagnostic monitor's Non-Volatile Random Access Memory (NVRAM) under these circumstances. Correction of the charging system problem will eliminate the DTC.
  • An intermittent fault has occurred and the fault is no longer present. The diagnostic monitor may be programmed to flash "intermittent" DTCs 61-85 that are stored in NVRAM. Use the following procedure to access the stored DTC(s).
    1. Locate the air bag diagnostic service connector containing Circuit 631 (T/R). This is a grey connector under the glove compartment.
    2. With the ignition key OFF, short Circuit 631 to the ground contained in the service connector or another good ground.
    3. Turn the ignition key to RUN and observe the six second air bag indicator prove-out.
    4. Within two seconds after indicator prove-out, remove the short on Circuit 631.
    5. Stored DTCs will be displayed. After service, repeat steps 1-4 and clean the DTCs.

It appears you could have a issue in the charging sytem somewhere that needs to be resolved. (I advise a alternator ripple test to check the integrity of the working condition of the alternator and a Battery check)

Check this first:

The air bag diagnostic monitor requires power at Pin 6 to energize the air bag indicator circuit properly. Loss of ignition voltage at Pin 6 due to open circuit or short to ground will result in a continuous air bag indicator due to the ignition voltage applied to Pin 19.

If you need further help tom just let me know once you retrieve the fault codes if they exist. I can assist you from there if you need further help. Good Luck buddy!!

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread