94 White Lightning Indy 500

94lightning2292

slower traffic keep right
Established Member
Does anyone happen to know how many Lightnings were made that had the Indianapolis 500 logos on them? My friend has one that is factory original with 30,000 miles on it which he bought new in 1994 from a dealership in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Truck has the Indiapolis wings and says Official Pace Truck with the date which is the same as the 1994 Cobra. Story goes that ford only made a few of these like this for marketing purposes and to show the white color off being this was the first year. The trucks were then auctioned off after the race and sold to dealers. He bought the truck with only 500 miles on it and we're just curious how many are actually out there. If anyone can give any info, it is much appreciated. Thanks, Eric

Digdoug

Established Member
According to the SVT recognition guide 12 were made, most were crushed afterwards. However the guide goes on to say that 9 trucks were made for sale to the public which included the hand cut stickers on the side that read "Official Truck"

One of the owners of one, a girl, reported there were 10 total Indy trucks...9-went to auction, but she had connections and she bought the 10th one before it went to auction...The truck came with 900 miles on it and along with all the documentation of who put the miles on it, pit crew chief's name and so on. It currently has 38K miles on it. Here are pics of it.

As you see in the pics below it says "Official Truck", not "Official Pace Truck". The Cobra was the official pace vehicle, the truck was used in the pits and to haul stuff around and such. Other than decals it's the same truck as we have. There was a similar truck made in 1979 when the mustang was the official pace car as well.

indy4.jpg

indy3.jpg

indy2.jpg

indy1.jpg

Last edited:

383svt

Established Member
94lightning2292 said:
Does anyone happen to know how many Lightnings were made that had the Indianapolis 500 logos on them? My friend has one that is factory original with 30,000 miles on it which he bought new in 1994 from a dealership in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Truck has the Indiapolis wings and says Official Pace Truck with the date which is the same as the 1994 Cobra. Story goes that ford only made a few of these like this for marketing purposes and to show the white color off being this was the first year. The trucks were then auctioned off after the race and sold to dealers. He bought the truck with only 500 miles on it and we're just curious how many are actually out there. If anyone can give any info, it is much appreciated. Thanks, Eric
Does he want to sell it? does he have documentation on it?

94lightning2292

slower traffic keep right
Established Member
to 383svt: He does have documentation with it, we just didn't know how many were actually out there. Yes he will sell it but only to me. It has been promised to me since I have recently sold my white 94 and he knows I miss it dearly and knows I will keep this one. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread