94 Cobra TFS Stage 1 ????

1994Indy500

Established Member
I know someone has probably already asked this but so far I haven't found it. I was wondering if the Trick flow stage 1 cam will work in my 1994 Cobra without P to V clearance problems. People say the 1.7rr's will produce too much lift. Is this a fact? If it is anyone have a recommendation for a cam? I want a lopey idle and don't care too much on the horsepower gains or losses if thats the case. I have BBK equal length headers, a Flow-tech cat-less x-pipe, and a MAC 3" cat-back system.

94CobraPace

Established Member
You will probly need some new rockers with the TW heads, as the stockers are ped mount and the TW heads use stud mount. You will need to check the piston to valve no matter what. What are the specs on the cam? Not sure if the tw heads will clear on stock pistons due to the canted valve angle.

What number pace car do you have? Is it all stock?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Crane 2040
Ford E cam
Steeda 19

These are all virtually the same, I have the 2040 and I love it. I would like to go 2031, but not worth the hassle of putting a cam in.

Venomous Cobra

ballinn!!!
Established Member
i should be installing my lunati 51014 cam this week finally, i've been saying this for 2 months now lol...i think it should clear with my 1.7 rr's but the car has too be tuned.

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
You will probly need some new rockers with the TW heads, as the stockers are ped mount and the TW heads use stud mount. You will need to check the piston to valve no matter what. What are the specs on the cam? Not sure if the tw heads will clear on stock pistons due to the canted valve angle.

What number pace car do you have? Is it all stock?
They clear, the valve angle actually helps with clearence. That being said, it's actually the only head that can fit a 2.02 intake valve clearing stock pistons.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I know someone has probably already asked this but so far I haven't found it. I was wondering if the Trick flow stage 1 cam will work in my 1994 Cobra without P to V clearance problems. People say the 1.7rr's will produce too much lift. Is this a fact? If it is anyone have a recommendation for a cam? I want a lopey idle and don't care too much on the horsepower gains or losses if thats the case. I have BBK equal length headers, a Flow-tech cat-less x-pipe, and a MAC 3" cat-back system.

off topic, but....post pics of your car!! Indy 500s are sick:rockon:

1994Indy500

Established Member
94CobraPace, I'm not sure what number I have because the guy that owned it before me took the dash plaque, I'm trying to find out who he is and get it back. It is all stock except for full exhaust.

Thanks for the replies, and what heads have canted valves? TW? Can I get a website or something. Are they canted like the old Boss 302 heads?

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
more limpy idle piston friendly cams please...

also, DAN, is your car tuned with that cam, or is it working with the stock computer????

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
If you're throwing this cam in the stock iron heads then stick to cams that will utilize that setup. Some have suggested the E cam and others like it, but those cams are good for higher end setups that will get more out of the extra lift. The B cam is actually much better for stock heads, bolt on cars because it has more duration and not as much lift as the E. With 1.7 rockers you're going to have too much lift to know what to do with. If I were you I'd stick with the TFS stage 1 or get the Crane 2031. It was specifically designed to work with the cobra's 1.7 rockers.

You should seriously consider upgrading valve springs while you're in there. I wouldn't ever do an aftermarket cam with stock springs..........valve float is gonna kill your power and I like the use of my upper RPM's. Do it right the first time.

Glueyes1

Established Member
i should be installing my lunati 51014 cam this week finally, i've been saying this for 2 months now lol...i think it should clear with my 1.7 rr's but the car has too be tuned.

It will definitely clear.I'm running that cam with no issues.Here's a clip of the car at idle
th_MOV01097.gif

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
If you're throwing this cam in the stock iron heads then stick to cams that will utilize that setup. Some have suggested the E cam and others like it, but those cams are good for higher end setups that will get more out of the extra lift. The B cam is actually much better for stock heads, bolt on cars because it has more duration and not as much lift as the E. With 1.7 rockers you're going to have too much lift to know what to do with. If I were you I'd stick with the TFS stage 1 or get the Crane 2031. It was specifically designed to work with the cobra's 1.7 rockers.

You should seriously consider upgrading valve springs while you're in there. I wouldn't ever do an aftermarket cam with stock springs..........valve float is gonna kill your power and I like the use of my upper RPM's. Do it right the first time.

What about blower cars???? AFM B-41??

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
What about blower cars???? AFM B-41??

The B-41 is an awesome blower cam for a stock headed pushrod cobra. The F cam is also a great blower cam and for the price its damn cheap. Although, you might have to switch to 1.6's with those cams due to their lift.

When i did my E cam with my 1.72's, it wouldn't clear my heads and I just notched them a bit. Either way. But you need to know what you're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread