94 cobra Epoxy coat on INSIDE?!?! of intake runners???

gatorbytes2

Hello all, Upon removal of my 94 upper intake I noticed the epoxy coat was cracking and easily peeling on the INSIDE of the intake runners??!?!?! How in the world do I go about having this removed? acid dipping? If I dont remove it, I have a feeling it will deffinatly end up in the motor (if it hasnt already) I always knew the 94/95 had epoxy paint on the outside, but the INSIDE too? (I have verified its a coating not just carbon buildup) :shrug:

dscn06060xp.jpg

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Kind of odd ... when I had mine off, to paint it, the ports were clean as a tooth's hound LOL .

Can't see it in this photo, but they were real clean:

plen33.jpg

slosnake

Established Member
gatorbytes2 said:

Hello all, Upon removal of my 94 upper intake I noticed the epoxy coat was cracking and easily peeling on the INSIDE of the intake runners??!?!?! How in the world do I go about having this removed? acid dipping? If I dont remove it, I have a feeling it will deffinatly end up in the motor (if it hasnt already) I always knew the 94/95 had epoxy paint on the outside, but the INSIDE too? (I have verified its a coating not just carbon buildup) :shrug:

dscn06060xp.jpg

Get it extrude honed!! It will clean it up and flow ALOT better!!!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
When you get done with the ports, here's another idea you might want to try (see the ghost flames?). I lost some of the resolution, but it looked as smoothe as glass ... of course, this upper plenum was on a '98 Cobra:

hissm.jpg

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
You called it right, Barry ... here's a photo I took just for grins after I painted my upper air plenum and valve covers - it's a label that I trimmed up:

sample.jpg

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
how would you do ghost flames like that?

I used to have the instructions in an E-Mail, but lost it after a recent crash.
"HISSMAN" is one of the Moderators in this Forum - check with him. I know it involved quite a bit of masking, and layering of paint colors. The original photos looked just like glass- beautiful!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Here is the basics.

Prep everything really well.
Sand till your hand falls off.
Clean everything in an alcohol wash (what I do).
Apply your base coat of black primer.
I used 1/8th inch tape to tape off the flame pattern on both sides.
I then masked off everything but where the flames were going to be.
I then applied two crisp layers of Ford blue where the flames were going to be.
I then just barely hit the edges of the flames with a darker color of blue, sort of a true navy ( I think I left this out in the original instructions).
I then pealed off the masking and the flame tape.
Let it cure for a bit under a heat lamp.
Next I then began the primary paint coat of color shift paint.
I did about 5-6 super thin coats of this. The color shift paint is a clear paint with crystals in it that refract light to a predetermined spectrum of color, so the more layers, the more of an effect you will have. But you do not want it to be to thick, so just use a dusting per coat, and let it cure till it is just barely tacky then apply the next coat.
Once that was done I applied 3 very thin coats of clear.
I had planned to wet sand everything and buff it once I was finished, but the job came out perfectly flat and without a need for wet sanding, so I just buffed it really well and called it a day.

-Jeff

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
hey that sounds pretty simple. is that how they do ghost flames on everything else? what happens when the main color isn't opaque?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
badass98svt said:
hey that sounds pretty simple. is that how they do ghost flames on everything else? what happens when the main color isn't opaque?

If the main color is not semi-transparent then it will not work.

Users who are viewing this thread