94-96 Cobra Owners Inquire Please

94FiveOhCOBRA

*=Boobs Are Awesome=*
Established Member
I'm in a predicament here....I want to sell my 89 GT and get a cobra. But which one is the best bang for the buck?? HP vs. Mods vs. Camaro:bash: I'd like to keep it naturally aspirated if possible. Well let me know. I want to buy one in the next couple of weeks. If you have one for sale for $10k and below reply as well. Thanks

Lee

Established Member
If you want a lot of "bang for the buck", just do some minor engine work on your 89. It's easy to make a "stock" mustang outperform a Cobra in every way, and cheaper. Cobra's are great if you want to do very little to them, otherwise you're paying a lot of $$ just to add the same parts you can add to a "regular" Mustang. My .02

blackfang

Established Member
Yup, what he said. However, you sound like you want a new car. So here goes. If you are looking for sheer n/a rwhp, then get a LS1 Camaro. You can easily get into the 450 rwhp with bolt ons, and into the low 11's. it will take a good amount of cash to get a DOHC into that range. Hell a guy in our Mustang club has a 379 rwhp 97 cobra n/a. All from shm and tuned by Lamottas in Florida. he paid $$ for that.
Now if you want an overall package, then get the cobra. A better built car, and cheaper to mod. Good luck on whatever route you choose.

i8u

Established Member
Good deals can be found.

I sold my 98 cobra laser red vert with 88K miles.

I had all the stock parts for it to bolt back up as well.

I was lowered with saleen racecraft springs, struts, quad shocks, struts, And subframes. It also had BBK longtubes W/ h-pipe and cats, And flowmaster mufflers. Pro 5.0 shifter, centeforce dual friction clutch, Richmond 3.73 differential, 62mm twin tbody, 80mm C&l mass air with cold air intake and K&n, Autometer tripple full A pillar and various gauges. Did I mention it had a vortec s-trim on it?

I sold the car with all mods and factory parts except the blower for $9950

I sold the blower for 2k.

Good deals are around. Good luck with whatever you decide.:beer:

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Personally, im not a fan of camaros. If you want to go n/a, id say go with a 94-95 5.0. They arent as fast as the 96 from the factory, but with some mods, which im sure you will do, you will be puttin down some nice numbers. Plus, the torque on the 5.0's is SO much fun. Going with a 96, you wont get the same amount of power keeping it n/a like you would with the 5.0. Get the 96 if you want a blower in the future. Any route you take, you going to have a lot of power so its really a personal preference here. Good luck!

Andrew

1slosnake

10 second pilot
Established Member
You my friend are doing exactly what I did 1 year ago. I sold my 89GT with a 347 for my cobra. The main thing is do what you want. Because realistically you are the one that has to deal with the car and mod it. But make sure you know your combos because that is how you go fast with how well your combo works not how much peak hp you have. I have only about $3500 in mods and run mid 11's in Vegas (that will change with a trip to cali and a #14 pulley looking for 10's) Either way you will love the outcome.
Ross

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
LS1 is a mofo and tha can not be denied. I have driven both and I was swayed by the LS1 power, then I test drove a 96 Cobra w/4.10s and exhaust: the Cobra had waaaaaay more personality, sounded like a V8 should sound and since it was not stock I felt the pwer was the same from tht STOCK LS1 2000Z28 I drove the day before. Plus mycar was 8K less than the Z it was a no brainer for me. You see SS's and Z28's all around town here. I like having a Cobra as you just dont see them a lot and I can hang with a lot of LS1 motored cars. Your decision but I think you know what kind of answers you would getin a 96-98 minded forum on an SVT site. So good luck with you decision and have fun with either car :thumbsup:

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread