93 to e85 gains?

03Cobranator

Established Member
Alright So my fuel system can support e85, but because there is only 1 gas station around that has it im debating whether or not to get a retune for it. What is the average gains from just switching over and getting a retune? Im just starting to second guess switching over because i dont want to restrict myself to the local area all for 35rwhp or something that i wont even feel the difference in.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't know what the 'average gains' are, I'd guess it differs for different mods.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it just for the fact that it really is going to make getting gas more of a hassle.

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
What is your setup? How much boost are you running, timing etc. Will you pulley down further to take advantage of the capabilities of E 85? I picked up over 70 to the wheel but I also added timing and boost.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
On a 2013 Shelby E85 will make about 12% more RWHP than 93 with similar parameters except change in stoich. With more aggressive tuning it is obviously a lot more.

03Cobranator

Established Member
I don't know what the 'average gains' are, I'd guess it differs for different mods.

Honestly, I wouldn't do it just for the fact that it really is going to make getting gas more of a hassle.

Thats Basically where im at.. My tuner doesnt really know how much ill get out of it either. He thinks that ill get a minimum of 35rwhp but closer to 45ish.. Which is why im debating on putting my smaller pulley on..

03Cobranator

Established Member
What is your setup? How much boost are you running, timing etc. Will you pulley down further to take advantage of the capabilities of E 85? I picked up over 70 to the wheel but I also added timing and boost.
I believe im at 18* timing and boost is 22psi but i have a pulley thatll make it like 24ish that ill probably swap on just to make it a little more worthit.

1sikStang

Established Member
Why not just try it out, and save it as a secondary-race tune? I'm on e85 now, but when driving to Cali, tune it on 91 octane.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I am in the same situation as you. I have to drive a 1/2 hr to get it and usually fill a gas caddy and every other fuel container I can find. Use it mostly at the track but here is the issue. We have tested it and it only show to be E75 which is concidered a winter blend. As posted above, I have multiple tunes to allow me to run 93 as well. Gave me about 35/35 on the corn and this was on 75 but the car was tuned on this fuel with me assuming it was 85. Free HP is Free HP and worth it in my book. The tank has to be drained b4 each fuel change esp when going to the Corn. Also take note that the 85 burns lightning fast in a modded Cobra. You can virtually watch the needle move in my car. also if you have it tuned on 'real' 85 and run it hard with corn from a station that is sold to you as 85 but truely 75 in could be Catastrophic under a high boost race situation. Summit sells a cheap kit to easily test this.

Last edited:

03Cobranator

Established Member
Yea I have an extra 55 gallon race gas drum that i will probably fill up and keep at my house just in case but i think im going to switch anyways just because its easier on the motor and i get more power so nothing wrong with that :)

As for e75 and e85 there is a guy on the forum that researched e85 inside and out and claims that after e60 the benefits greatly deminish. So the differences youll see from e75 to e85 are so small that it makes no difference and the ecu will compensate for the little bit of difference it does have. Although some people greatly dissagree with it i have seen threads where he gave links to articles providing proof so honestly im not worried about the e75 and e85 issue.

TORQJNKY

For the guys who shift back an forth from 93 to E85, how far down do you run your tank when going from 93 to E85? I would think you would want to get it down as much as possible and as close to the same level each time so stoich doesn't change from what the car was tuned for on E85? Seems there could be some danger in doing this if you have too much 93 mixed in with your E85 tune. Am I off the mark?

03Cobranator

Established Member
For the guys who shift back an forth from 93 to E85, how far down do you run your tank when going from 93 to E85? I would think you would want to get it down as much as possible and as close to the same level each time so stoich doesn't change from what the car was tuned for on E85? Seems there could be some danger in doing this if you have too much 93 mixed in with your E85 tune. Am I off the mark?

I would like to know this as well :beer:

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Ya just run it down pretty far. The tank holds 15.7 gallons on a terminator. If you get it down to a gallon or so then add the E 85 you are still at 80 percent ethanol. If you are really worried about getting a higher percentage just top it off when you get down to half tank after switching. E 80 will give you damn near the same performance as E 85.

Its not a big deal to switch. It would get old to switch constantly tho if you want 85 % all the time on the ethanol tune.

gabe1530

Banned
Ya just run it down pretty far. The tank holds 15.7 gallons on a terminator. If you get it down to a gallon or so then add the E 85 you are still at 80 percent ethanol. If you are really worried about getting a higher percentage just top it off when you get down to half tank after switching. E 80 will give you damn near the same performance as E 85.

Its not a big deal to switch. It would get old to switch constantly tho if you want 85 % all the time on the ethanol tune.

This is what I would do but I would bring a 3 or 5 gallon jug with me at fill up. Drive 20-30 miles and top it off with the jug and you'll be really close to the 85% mark.

Users who are viewing this thread