93 octane tune. Can I use 91 octane? Albuquerque NM

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
I'm bringing my car out here to Albuquerque NM and it seems that all they sell is 91 octane. My car is in NJ and it was tuned for 93 octane. Is it possible to run 91 octane in my car without any problems?

Franchi

Established Member
How many lbs of boost are you running? Usually I wouldn't recommend it but if you on a lower boost setting, probably wouldn't hurt for a while. I wouldn't keep it like that though, if moving permanently, get it retuned.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
I talked to my tuner about this he said its fine as long as I wasn't beating it hard and into boost for a long period of time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
i'm running 14lbs with a 2.93.. i was told i could add some octane booster? but i don't plan on being in boost everyday... nor do i see myself driving this car everyday. only on weekends. I'm stationed her for only a year.

Blueline

Established Member
Who is your tuner in NJ, you might want to just shoot him a call and ask him. He may be able to change a few things, timing etc. and email you another tune. Or you could run a little bit of Torco to get you through the time your in NM.

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
Who is your tuner in NJ, you might want to just shoot him a call and ask him. He may be able to change a few things, timing etc. and email you another tune. Or you could run a little bit of Torco to get you through the time your in NM.

i got it tuned by john lund in PA. i'll shoot him a email to see what he says. where can i get some torco? would i have to order it?

Blueline

Established Member
I buy my Torco right from Torco on ebay. They now have an ebay store, best price I could find :beer:

derockgt

Established Member
i wouldnt get on it at all. im in the same boat right now, just moved to az. getting it tuned this weekend, it was pinging and running 12.3 a/f ratio, threw 3 gallons of 100 in with the 91 and was fine gas mileage is awsome with the 100 in there! but cant see spending the 8$ gallon ever fill up to add the 100. getting it retuned for just 91.

Chiflikalotapus

Whippled
Established Member
You should be fine I ran my car on 91 with 15lbs of boost. Just a heads up you got some great choices for tuning in alburqueque. I'm getting my car tuned at motiva they are on Comanche rd in ALB. Also ALB has E85 stations. :)

foxcobra93

Established Member
What he said. The reason for 91 octane out here is the elevation (5000ft) and lack of air. You should be fine. If you have any doubts when you get here stop by Dynoedge on Juan Tabo blvd and Talk with Chris Groves. Imo he is the premier tuner for our cars out here. :rockon:

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
What he said. The reason for 91 octane out here is the elevation (5000ft) and lack of air. You should be fine. If you have any doubts when you get here stop by Dynoedge on Juan Tabo blvd and Talk with Chris Groves. Imo he is the premier tuner for our cars out here. :rockon:

thanks for the info. i'm already here. i'm just trying to making arrangements to ship my car here. but i'm going to give dynoedge and a few places a call. I'm stationed here for only a year. i'm not really looking for another tune.

50q's

Established Member
I personally would just pull a degree or two of timing and be done. Or could always look into meth and or torco.

foxcobra93

Established Member
Saturday would be an excellent time to stop in at Dynoedge. They are having a dynoday and bbq. Several terminators should show up along with a large variety of other vehicles.

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
Saturday would be an excellent time to stop in at Dynoedge. They are having a dynoday and bbq. Several terminators should show up along with a large variety of other vehicles.

thanks for the offer, but my car won't be here for a few weeks.. i'm still waiting to hear back from my tuner.

04svtcobrablack

Established Member

X2 he did an awesome job on my cobra, drivability is great feels like stock(except when you floor it of course lol). I highly recommend him to anyone wanting a tune near or close to alb.

Users who are viewing this thread