93 LX 5.0 Street only Setup

Anthony93LX50

Established Member
Hey guys,

New to the site and need some help with my setup. I have a 93 LX 5.0 Mustang with Koni adjustables all around, Eibach Springs (lowered 1.5"). New Sway bar Endlinks, bumpsteer kit, Offset steering Rack bushings, new front sway bar bushings, new front A-Arm Bushings, Sub Frame Connectors, Reinforced Floor Board Pans. The rest of the suspension is stock. I have had the car for several years and have realized this will only be a street driven car, no strip. I want to do the setup the right way the first time.

I am looking for the best Street (Daily Driver) suspension setup possible. I try not to drive the car in the rain (back end goes everywhere when i touch the gas even with stock engine in the rain).

I have been seriously considering the Maximum Motorsports Torque Arm/Pan Hard/Lower Control Arm (adjutable?) setup, ditch quads? for the rear, my only hesitation is having to get it installed due to welding and slight exhaust mods. I wanted to do the majority of work myself. Is this the best street setup or is this overkill for my use? Which if any Torque box reinforcement kit should i get that will not mess with my stock interior, I dont want bolts sticking through the carpet?

I would like to change to a Tubular K member with Tubular Arms which would lead to Coilovers, is this setup not a good idea for street? Should i just keep the Eibach spring setup and stock K member and Arms? I am looking for a smooth ride thats fun to take turns in.

I plan on buying a MM steering Shaft to help the sloppy steering, should a new ps rack and/or pump be replaced at the same time or can i get away with the steering shaft until the other units whine?

My car has 127K miles on it

If your from CT who would you reccomend installing the Torque Arm? I want someone that has mustang knowledge and doesnt charge an Arm, Leg and Nut like most people do (reasonable prices, I know there is work involved but spending $2k on labor for $1K of parts is not worth it to me.

Parts I have already purchased and need to be installed:
3.73 gears with track lock rebuld kit (Seriously thinking getting a new track lock with 31 spline axels I still use 4 Lug & dont want to change i love the pony rims)
TA performace rear diff cover ( Will this work With the MM Panhard Bar?)
Alum Drive Shaft
Drive Shaft Safety Loop (Can this be installed with Torque Arm????)

Sorry for the long Question(s), I just want everyone to know my intention with the car.

Any info is welcome!!

Thanks
Anthony

TX93Cobra

Established Member
maximum motorsports is the way to go. upper and lower control arms i have are steeda, and i like them.

geoffc

Established Member
I tend to avoid tubular k-members/a-arms on street cars because they are more likely to break if you hit a pothole. If you really want one though, I've heard the MM one is the strongest.
Also, I wouldn't put a torque arm on a street car either. The rest sounds perfect to me!

Anthony93LX50

Established Member
thanks for the replys

geoffc- Can you expand on why wouldnt you use a torque arm on a street car?

Ive heard the K-Member sux on street cars, I just like the way they clean up the engine bay. Looks like I will stick with the stock K-Member/A-Arms.

Should I just use the panhard bar from MM or get adjustable control arms elsewhere?

blownfox

Established Member
For what I'm told the team Z k-members are one of the strongest out there. Hopefully this fall I will have one on my car. UPR k-member had a lot of issues breaking on the streets.

4valvemach

Established Member
Let the camaro/firebird guys keep the torque arm setup and stay with the GOOD ford design.I suggest you get tubular upper and lower control arms and be done with the rear.

What do you mean by sloppy steering?

Anthony93LX50

Established Member
I can move the steering wheel from side to side a bit without the front turning. Not a very tight setup due to the old stock rubber steering rag joint.

I am going to get MM lowers, any suggestions for uppers?

wheelhopper

Established Member
A torque arm and panhard bar are overkill if you are going to only street drive the car. I know guys that a regulars on a road course and don't have a torque arm, and are fast. I would practically any brand lower, the geometry is pretty much the same and a lot of them out source the bushings to Prothane or Energy Suspension. Get some Steeda HD uppers. They are factory reinforced Ford pieces with slightly stiffer bushings. Going to stiff in the upper arms is bad cause it creates bind. Get a reputable brand panhard bar and your rear is done. As for the front, replace your offset bushings with some MM aluminum ones. They are much better and may give you the feel you are looking for without replacing your steering shaft. That should be all you need. As far as the other stuff is concerned, I run my foxbody on the road course without coil overs and tubular K-member, and it performs great. If you decide to go with a tubular K member, you can get trouble free miles out of a lot of brands. I have a UPR on my '03 Cobra That I ran on the road course for 3 years and never had a break. Just keep an eye on them and ask about a warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread